Circular motion- banked curve, show that friction is necessary

In summary: I guess you could call it that, but it is not necessary. Friction is just a general term for any force that opposes motion between two surfaces, whether it is kinetic or static. In this case, we are talking about static friction because the car is not sliding or moving yet. In summary, a 1200 kg car rounds a banked curve of radius 70 m with a banked angle of 12° and a speed of 90 km/h. In order for the car to safely make the turn, friction is necessary to provide the force needed to keep the car on the road and prevent it from sliding or tipping over. Through calculations of the forces involved, it is shown that the force of gravity and the normal force from
dani123

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg car rounds a banked curve of radius 70 m. If the banked angle is 12° and the car is traveling at 90 km/h, show that friction is necessary in order for the car to safely make the turn.

Homework Equations

Force of gravity: Fg=m*g
to calculate the normal force: opposite side of angle: Fncos(12°)=mg
centripetal force: Fc=mv2/R
Fc=Ff
μ=Ff/Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

So these are the things we know:
m=1200kg
R=70m
θ=12°
v=90km/h=25m/s
car is traveling on a banked curve

With this information we can start off by calculating the Fg=mg=(1200kg)*(9.8m/s2)=11760N

The normal force can be calculated from:
Fncos(12°)=mg
Fn=11760N/cos(12°)= 12022.725N

From here, I calculated the Fc:
Fc=(1200kg)*(25m/s)/(70m)= 10714.286 N

I think we are to assume that Fc=Ff, because its a banked curve? I am not entirely sure on this reasoning... some clarification would be appreciated :)

so from here I calculated μ:
μ=Ff/Fn=10714.286N/12022.725N= 0.89

END OF MY FIRST ATTEMPT

I calculated the Force trying to pull the car down the bank:
from the adjacent side: F=mgsin(12°)= (1200kg)*(9.8m/s2)sin(12)= 2445.041N

The needed centripetal force:
Fc=mv2/R= (1200kg)*(25m/s)2/(70m)= 10714.286N

The component of Fc that is parallel to the road surface is:
opposing side: Fc*cos(12°)=10480.153 N

The difference between component of centripetal force parallel to the roadway and the force due to gravity component parallel to the roadway is:
10480.153 N- 2445.041 N= 8035.111N

This force must be made up by friction, toward the center of the circle but parallel to the roadway surface.

SO, if anyone could lend me a hand and let me know where I went wrong and which attempt better suites this type of problem that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks you to prove that a frictional force is necessary, not to find the friction coefficient :wink: To do this, all you need to do is show that the force that pulls the car downwards the banked road(gravitational force) is less than the force that is 'pushing' it away(due to circular motion). Hence, your method of second attempt would be much more appropriate.

-------------------
First attempt error(s)!

From here, I calculated the Fc:
Fc=(1200kg)*(25m/s)/(70m)= 10714.286 N
You seem to be missing a v2 term here.

I think we are to assume that Fc=Ff, because its a banked curve?

Nope. Draw out a diagram, see which forces balance the frictional force. You're missing one essential component i.e gravitational force.

There is no force 'pushing the car away' ! Just show that the force towards the centre due to the banking is too small for the circular motion. The rest of the force must be provided by friction.

truesearch said:
There is no force 'pushing the car away' ! Just show that the force towards the centre due to the banking is too small for the circular motion. The rest of the force must be provided by friction.

Yes, there isn't. Thats why my the ''. But considering pseudo forces in your reference frame...

The needed centripetal force:
Fc=mv2/R= (1200kg)*(25m/s)2/(70m)= 10714.286N

The normal force can be calculated from:
Fncos(12°)=mg
Fn=11760N/cos(12°)= 12022.725N
------------------
Fc supply by Fn=FnSin(12°)=2499.665

Should be added by friction =FfCos(12°)=10714.286-2499.665

You have Fn calculated without resolving mg to its components, Thus it is orthogonal to Fc.

I guess it is static friction.

Last edited:

1. What is circular motion and how does it relate to banked curves?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point. Banked curves are curved roads or tracks that are specifically designed for vehicles to move along in circular motion without losing control.

2. How is friction necessary for a vehicle to safely navigate a banked curve?

Friction is necessary for a vehicle to safely navigate a banked curve because it provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the vehicle from sliding off the curve. Without friction, the vehicle would continue to move in a straight line and would not be able to follow the curved path.

3. Can a vehicle successfully navigate a banked curve without friction?

No, a vehicle cannot successfully navigate a banked curve without friction. Friction is necessary to provide the centripetal force required for the vehicle to move along the curved path without slipping or sliding off. In the absence of friction, the vehicle would continue to move in a straight line and would not be able to navigate the curve.

4. How does the angle of banking affect the amount of friction required for a vehicle to safely navigate a curve?

The angle of banking directly affects the amount of friction required for a vehicle to safely navigate a curve. As the angle of banking increases, the necessary centripetal force also increases, meaning that more friction is needed to keep the vehicle on the curve. If the angle of banking is too steep, it can lead to an excessive amount of friction, causing the vehicle to skid or lose control.

5. Can the speed of the vehicle also affect the amount of friction needed to navigate a banked curve?

Yes, the speed of the vehicle also plays a role in the amount of friction required to safely navigate a banked curve. As the speed increases, the centripetal force needed to keep the vehicle on the curve also increases, requiring more friction. If the vehicle is traveling at a high speed, it may require more friction than what is available, leading to a loss of control or skidding.