Reconsidering a Career in Science: The Harsh Realities of the Job Market

• Thread starter michealsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: The longer you spend in science, the more likely it is that you will be squeezed out of science entirely.
michealsmith
hi guys i want to get ur opinion on an article i read ;
I HAVE PASTED IT FROM.. ... http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

Are you thinking of becoming a scientist? Do you want to uncover the mysteries of nature, perform experiments or carry out calculations to learn how the world works? Forget it!

Science is fun and exciting. The thrill of discovery is unique. If you are smart, ambitious and hard working you should major in science as an undergraduate. But that is as far as you should take it. After graduation, you will have to deal with the real world. That means that you should not even consider going to graduate school in science. Do something else instead: medical school, law school, computers or engineering, or something else which appeals to you.

Why am I (a tenured professor of physics) trying to discourage you from following a career path which was successful for me? Because times have changed (I received my Ph.D. in 1973, and tenure in 1976). American science no longer offers a reasonable career path. If you go to graduate school in science it is in the expectation of spending your working life doing scientific research, using your ingenuity and curiosity to solve important and interesting problems. You will almost certainly be disappointed, probably when it is too late to choose another career.

American universities train roughly twice as many Ph.D.s as there are jobs for them. When something, or someone, is a glut on the market, the price drops. In the case of Ph.D. scientists, the reduction in price takes the form of many years spent in ``holding pattern'' postdoctoral jobs. Permanent jobs don't pay much less than they used to, but instead of obtaining a real job two years after the Ph.D. (as was typical 25 years ago) most young scientists spend five, ten, or more years as postdocs. They have no prospect of permanent employment and often must obtain a new postdoctoral position and move every two years. For many more details consult the Young Scientists' Network or read the account in the May, 2001 issue of the Washington Monthly.

As examples, consider two of the leading candidates for a recent Assistant Professorship in my department. One was 37, ten years out of graduate school (he didn't get the job). The leading candidate, whom everyone thinks is brilliant, was 35, seven years out of graduate school. Only then was he offered his first permanent job (that's not tenure, just the possibility of it six years later, and a step off the treadmill of looking for a new job every two years). The latest example is a 39 year old candidate for another Assistant Professorship; he has published 35 papers. In contrast, a doctor typically enters private practice at 29, a lawyer at 25 and makes partner at 31, and a computer scientist with a Ph.D. has a very good job at 27 (computer science and engineering are the few fields in which industrial demand makes it sensible to get a Ph.D.). Anyone with the intelligence, ambition and willingness to work hard to succeed in science can also succeed in any of these other professions.

Typical postdoctoral salaries begin at $27,000 annually in the biological sciences and about $35,000 in the physical sciences (graduate student stipends are less than half these figures). Can you support a family on that income? It suffices for a young couple in a small apartment, though I know of one physicist whose wife left him because she was tired of repeatedly moving with little prospect of settling down. When you are in your thirties you will need more: a house in a good school district and all the other necessities of ordinary middle class life. Science is a profession, not a religious vocation, and does not justify an oath of poverty or celibacy.

Of course, you don't go into science to get rich. So you choose not to go to medical or law school, even though a doctor or lawyer typically earns two to three times as much as a scientist (one lucky enough to have a good senior-level job). I made that choice too. I became a scientist in order to have the freedom to work on problems which interest me. But you probably won't get that freedom. As a postdoc you will work on someone else's ideas, and may be treated as a technician rather than as an independent collaborator. Eventually, you will probably be squeezed out of science entirely. You can get a fine job as a computer programmer, but why not do this at 22, rather than putting up with a decade of misery in the scientific job market first? The longer you spend in science the harder you will find it to leave, and the less attractive you will be to prospective employers in other fields.

Perhaps you are so talented that you can beat the postdoc trap; some university (there are hardly any industrial jobs in the physical sciences) will be so impressed with you that you will be hired into a tenure track position two years out of graduate school. Maybe. But the general cheapening of scientific labor means that even the most talented stay on the postdoctoral treadmill for a very long time; consider the job candidates described above. And many who appear to be very talented, with grades and recommendations to match, later find that the competition of research is more difficult, or at least different, and that they must struggle with the rest.

Suppose you do eventually obtain a permanent job, perhaps a tenured professorship. The struggle for a job is now replaced by a struggle for grant support, and again there is a glut of scientists. Now you spend your time writing proposals rather than doing research. Worse, because your proposals are judged by your competitors you cannot follow your curiosity, but must spend your effort and talents on anticipating and deflecting criticism rather than on solving the important scientific problems. They're not the same thing: you cannot put your past successes in a proposal, because they are finished work, and your new ideas, however original and clever, are still unproven. It is proverbial that original ideas are the kiss of death for a proposal; because they have not yet been proved to work (after all, that is what you are proposing to do) they can be, and will be, rated poorly. Having achieved the promised land, you find that it is not what you wanted after all.

What can be done? The first thing for any young person (which means anyone who does not have a permanent job in science) to do is to pursue another career. This will spare you the misery of disappointed expectations. Young Americans have generally woken up to the bad prospects and absence of a reasonable middle class career path in science and are deserting it. If you haven't yet, then join them. Leave graduate school to people from India and China, for whom the prospects at home are even worse. I have known more people whose lives have been ruined by getting a Ph.D. in physics than by drugs.

If you are in a position of leadership in science then you should try to persuade the funding agencies to train fewer Ph.D.s. The glut of scientists is entirely the consequence of funding policies (almost all graduate education is paid for by federal grants). The funding agencies are bemoaning the scarcity of young people interested in science when they themselves caused this scarcity by destroying science as a career. They could reverse this situation by matching the number trained to the demand, but they refuse to do so, or even to discuss the problem seriously (for many years the NSF propagated a dishonest prediction of a coming shortage of scientists, and most funding agencies still act as if this were true). The result is that the best young people, who should go into science, sensibly refuse to do so, and the graduate schools are filled with weak American students and with foreigners lured by the American student visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. When you are citing a website, unless you want to highlight certain phrases/sentences, don't cut-and-paste the whole thing. People can just to the site if they want to read it.

2. This has been discussed already. See

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=58113

Zz.

This thread has changed my view of what I want to be when I grow up.

I thought we were all in this for the love of science.

I'm going into mathematics, but still relatively the same.

I'd rather do part-time research and work another job for living, then just work another job for money, and die doing nothing of what I loved.

If you love Science, don't let the availability of jobs discourage you. You don't need a job in Science to follow your passion.

JasonRox said:
I'd rather do part-time research and work another job for living, then just work another job for money, and die doing nothing of what I loved.

I very very much agree. Very commendable principles to live by. Life's not all about the money. You'd probably be better off in the business/enterpreneur sector if that's the case.

But even the premise of arguing that you can't make a decent living with a science/physics major is suspect. Katz should know better, as a physicst, than to rely on anecdotal evidence alone. It was why I cited the statistics compiled by the AIP. There are TONS more of those statistics at the AIP website for anyone to read.

And I truly do not understand the apparent animosity that he had towards international students. The US had always depended on attracting some of the brightest minds from all over the world, be it Europe during the early part of the last century, to the Far East during the last part of the century. This isn't a new phenomenon. But I didn't hear him complain about the immigrant scientists when their skins were white.

Zz.

This sounds like someone flying off the handle over frustration about something. Perhaps he's someone getting heat from administration because he hasn't been bringing in grants, or he's not doing a decent job training his students, so he's watching them sit in post-doc holding patterns?

He also mentions starting post-doc salaries being around $27,000 in biological sciences. I don't know where he gets that figure from. It sounds pretty outdated. Current NIH postdoctoral stipend levels, which most institutions use as the minimum stipend for any post-doc in biomedical sciences, start at $35,568. This is a substantial increase from not long ago when I was struggling with a $20,000 initial stipend (which still seemed like a lot of money compared with my grad student stipend). Also, that that really is a starting salary, when you come out of a PhD program with zero experience in conducting independent research (in other words, not just the project your mentor assigned you, but coming up with your own ideas and grant funding). It rapidly increases after that. If you have over 7 years experience as a post-doc, you'll be earning over $50,000. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-05-032.html NIH also strongly encourages PIs to not keep hiring people into post-doc positions if they have that much experience, but to promote them to a faculty position and offer the appropriate salary for that position. But, my experience is that if someone is still floating around in post-doc positions for more than 4 or 5 years and hasn't landed a faculty appointment, there's usually a reason for it...that they just don't have some quality or qualification required in a good faculty candidate, such as demonstrated ability to obtain funding, good oral communication skills, a coherent focus for their research, or they may have sufficient publications, but no evidence that they really wrote them independently or came up with the original ideas on their own (I've seen people come out of very productive labs with tons of publications, but the ideas were all their mentor's, and when you hear them talk about the work, it's clear they needed a lot of help writing those papers...I know I've worked with post-docs for whom I practically needed to rewrite their manuscripts to make them coherent and focused...and yes, those post-docs are still doing post-docs; I would never recommend they seek a faculty position yet, they just aren't ready to work independently and supervise others.

This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with being a scientist. All it means is if you suck at it, you should have the sense to get out rather than continuing to do post-docs.

From my own personal experience, I did one, three-year post-doc, and had my first faculty position prior to 30 (in the general arena of biomedical research). I have not gotten a tenure-track position yet, but this doesn't really concern me. If anything, there's a lot more freedom in not being tenure-track because my primary focus is research and nothing else. I can't be involuntarily sucked into committees and teaching if I don't want to do it, or if it distracts me from my research committments, but when opportunities arise that interest me, I can choose to take them up.

But I also set "milestones" for myself to achieve. When I took my first post-doc position, I had already decided that I would be willing to do no more than 2 post-docs, and would not spend more than 4 years in post-doc positions. If I couldn't get a faculty appointment at that stage, I was not going to sit in a holding pattern, and I wasn't going to delude myself into thinking I had what it took to succeed in science if I couldn't get a faculty position by then. I had a back-up plan and alternative careers I had inquired about and gathered sufficient information to know I would be reasonably happy with them if I didn't stay in science. Basically, if I hit 30 and still didn't have a faculty appointment, I knew it would be time to cut my losses and run while I was still young enough to have time to establish myself in another career path.

So, rather than telling people to not become scientists, I think it's better to advise them to be realistic in their goals. Even if you manage to get a PhD, if you still aren't particularly good at working independently, running a lab, supervising students, teaching, and coming up with novel research ideas of your own, then you have to have the sense to know it's time to get out. Just like any career, there are people who are extremely successful at it, and people who fail at it. Perhaps the only bad thing about science is we're overly tolerant and keep trying to remediate the people who are not showing signs of a successful future in the career by shuffling them from post-doc to post-doc rather than just telling them they have no future in science and should go find another career.

I found Dr. Katz’s article two months ago and was so appalled that I wrote to him. Here was his response:

I wrote it because it is true.

I have no regrets, because I have a reasonably successful career in
science. But the odds are against anyone entering science today.
Almost everyone who pursues dreams in science will be disappointed.
Better to find dreams somewhere else.

I disagreed with him then and I still disagree with him now.
Just thought I’d share,
Laura

Katz work seems to mostly focus on Gamma-Ray-Bursts. I can't imagine there being too many positions who specializes in that area of high energy physics. My primary interests in science is in Condesnsed Matter Physics/Materials Science. I would like to apply these disciplines to nanotechnology research, which i know there is research jobs for. Like Zapper said it all depends on what area you go into.

Modey3

Science is HARD, find something easier! I can't disagree, if you don't want to work in a pressure cooker you should find some other line of work.

funny he says that computer programmers have a easier time finding good jobs...I find that one hard to believe because a lot of my friends have horrible programming jobs.

nbo10 said:
Science is HARD, find something easier! I can't disagree, if you don't want to work in a pressure cooker you should find some other line of work.
For what? Why do you assume Science is hard?

moonbear how do u know if u suck at it.

nbo10 said:

Before starting my PhD, I started a software company. In my experience, you get about the same amount of pressure in both worlds.

I better work in the one that I enjoy the most.

Its the brutal truth- a career in science doesn't pay jack compared to the amount of training you need. I have had an internship working in the pharmaceutical industry for about 2 years now, and I have to agree-it is a lot harder to get a job in industry (pharmaceuticals at least) with a phd than a masters. There are simply way too many phds for spots and companies would rather pay less for person with a masters than someone with a phd when they can do the same work. No one in the real world really cares how many letters you have after your name, they only want you to be able to perform certain tasks and many times people with MA or even BA can do them.

nbo10 said:
Nasty little secret of adulthood: nothing worth doing is easy.

A group of my friends (with various degrees) got random, mindless office drone jobs at the same company right after college. Yeah, it's easy having a job with no future, but who wants that?

russ_watters said:
Nasty little secret of adulthood: nothing worth doing is easy.
A group of my friends (with various degrees) got random, mindless office drone jobs at the same company right after college. Yeah, it's easy having a job with no future, but who wants that?

:uhh: mindless office drone jobs ?

How about the notion that you need to start from something small (which mostely means something "stupid") and grow from there ?

Besides, let's be honest about it. Most people would consider "doing a phd" to be about the most interesting thing you can do after college, but let us not forget that 99.9% of all phd's is totally forgotten about one year after completion. Most phd's are worth almost nothing and nobody cares about it because most people (even at top institutions around the world) will never do anything "of significance"...

This maybe a bit rude to say but we all know it is the truth.

You are better of as a young engineer to start working in a company and "start from there", in stead of starting a phd that nobody cares about (except the one doing it).

regards
marlon

From my own experience you learn much more in the real world than in the class room. I have learned so much more useful chemistry at my job than I ever have in the classroom. Schools only teach theory, hardly anything is practical. Almost every single reaction I learned in organic chemistry is never used in the real world because either A.) it is too dangerous or B.) there are much better and shorter ways of doing a synthesis. Knowing the theory behind how things work is good, but universities should teach things that are more applicable/practical. For example, why do they still teach students how to do titrations and quantitative analysis by trying to make precipitates and weighing them. No one, probably for the last 100 years, does this in the real world.

Most phd's are worth almost nothing and nobody cares about it because most people (even at top institutions around the world) will never do anything "of significance"...

Exactly, most things are accomplished as a team. A team of 5 or 6 people with BA and MAs could accomplish much more than 1 person with a phd in research.

JasonRox said:
If you love Science, don't let the availability of jobs discourage you. You don't need a job in Science to follow your passion.

Ah, the idealism of youth. :smile:

Finding a job is a very real concern. If a one does get a PhD in the sciences, then one is pigeonholed in the eyes of employers for life. Even an MS degree in the sciences can have that effect. I was a doctoral student in physics when my thesis advisor died in May, 2000. That meant the loss of my funding. So I had to go out and find a job, and I thought that this would not be a problem because I have a BS degree in engineering.

Boy was I wrong.

Not one firm was interested in my engineering degree, and every headhunter and career counselor I spoke to said that it is because they see me as too overeducated for entry level project engineering. That fact, combined with the fact that I was too undereducated to become a physicist (my advisor died before I finished my PhD), put me in quite a pickle. I bounced from one temp job to another for over 3 years before landing a teaching job at a community college.

So I would say, yes do consider the job market and realistically investigate your options and how they become narrower before entering grad school.

I have to agree... money isn't everything. And this isn't the idealism of youth, it's the idealism of middle age... ;-)

I'm spending most of my time these days preparing to take the physics GRE and looking for a suitable graduate program, years after I got my degree in computer science. Should I succeed, I expect to take roughly a 50% paycut... but money isn't everything. I would rather make much less doing something that genuinely excited me than putting in my time at a job that makes me dread getting out of bed in the morning.

TMFKAN64 said:
I have to agree... money isn't everything. And this isn't the idealism of youth, it's the idealism of middle age... ;-)

Ha! :biggrin:

but money isn't everything.

Yes that's true, but I wasn't talking about getting rich but rather about just earning a decent living. In my case, I was bouncing around from one temp assignment to another (from Adecco and Adecco Technical). We're talking about 10 bucks an hour for some assignments, and no benefits at all. Compound that with the fact that there could be a month between assignments and you start to get the picture.

Of course, my case was a bit of a freak because most people's thesis advisor don't just up and die on them. But we also had a postdoc in our group. He was pushing 40 at the time, and still going from one job to another. He is a very good physicist, better even than my advisor (our common boss). But he couldn't land a full time job to save his life. When my advisor died, I thought for sure that the department would initiate a job search immediately, and that the postdoc would be the leading candidate. But they made no attempt to replace him. When they offered to extend the postdoc's stay another few years, he was so insulted that he quit. Last I heard he gave up on the whole thing, opting instead to be Mr. Mom and let his wife try for a career in biology.

So I agree that money isn't everything. But I'm not saying that one should be money-hungry, but rather that one should avoid being money-starving. I think that people would be well advised to pursue a career path that will afford them a decent salary to be able to live how they choose, and that they should place a premium on job security as opposed to the unhappy, rootless existence of a typical postdoc.

OK, so this is not meant to belittle or trivialize the problem that Tom and other people had in terms of finding suitable employment. But I think I have to make sure there is a balance here in terms of having anecdotal cases. I've mentioned before how I've seen colleagues who got offered $69,000 jobs at HP and other high-tech industries (during the mid 90's no less) fresh out of their Ph.D program. Why? Because the had the skills that were in demand, in this case, plasma vapor deposition for thin film fabrication.

As for my case, when I complete my Ph.D, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to either go into a career in research/academia, or go into industries. I turned down a possible job offer from Applied Materials and decided to go the harder route of getting a postdoc and hopefully, a research/academic position. Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision, because anyone who knows how much a postdoc makes will immediately know that that was a crazy decision. But I know what I wanted to do, and at the same time, I know I have marketable skills that will also work in that sector of industries. The postdoc position that I accepted can only enhanced and broadened the skills that I already possessed, at least that's what I thought.

Today, there isn't an ouce of regret regarding the career path that I chose. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. But I do know that I had important mentors along the way. My ph.d adviser, way back when I started working for him, had always stressed that I should learn as many experimental techniques as I can get my hands on, and damn if he didn't make me do all those measurements that went nowhere. Almost 3/4 of the stuff I did as a grad student didn't even get reported in my thesis. Yet, practically all of them played a major role in why I could connect with Applied Materials and why I could market myself in various industries. I know of people with almost the same background working at Motorola, Intel, National Semiconductor, etc. (You may not know that they're physicists because they have "Engineer" in their job title, but physicists they are!).

There are paths in physics where you have greater employability. And there are paths in physics where you should expect to struggle with limited employability. Add a measure of LUCK to both of them, and there you have a physics career outlook in a nutshell.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Because the had the skills that were in demand, in this case, plasma vapor deposition for thin film fabrication.

Yes, that is something to consider. For completeness I should mention what it was that I was studying. My doctoral thesis was in medium energy theoretical particle physics. It was the kind of stuff that could get you research opportunities at J-Lab or Brookhaven, but not many other places.

It hadn't occurred to me though that the graduate work that I did would effectively nullify my engineering degree in the eyes of employers. It was as if they just assumed that I forgot all of that lab and design training or something. For a while there I had half a mind to leave my graduate work off my resume and move my college graduation date from 1995 to 2000. At least then I would have been interviewed!

But, as I said, I discovered the community college, whose physics and math faculties are replete with people who stopped at the MS degree. Not that I'm stopping there; to the contrary, I intend to go back to school next fall. But I am going to keep this job while I work on my PhD, rather than go back to living like a grad student. In fact, I wish I had known about this option in 1997 when I finished my MS degree. I would have rejected the departmental funding and instead come here to teach. The teaching load is identical, but I get a lot more money here!

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
...Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. But I do know that I had important mentors along the way. My ph.d adviser, way back when I started working for him, had always stressed that I should learn as many experimental techniques as I can get my hands on, and damn if he didn't make me do all those measurements that went nowhere. Almost 3/4 of the stuff I did as a grad student didn't even get reported in my thesis. Yet, practically all of them played a major role in why I could connect with Applied Materials and why I could market myself in various industries. I know of people with almost the same background working at Motorola, Intel, National Semiconductor, etc. (You may not know that they're physicists because they have "Engineer" in their job title, but physicists they are!).
There are paths in physics where you have greater employability. And there are paths in physics where you should expect to struggle with limited employability. Add a measure of LUCK to both of them, and there you have a physics career outlook in a nutshell.
Zz.
You were lucky and yes, you had a great advisor. He made you learn stuff you needed to live in the real world outside of academia.
My advisor also made me do a lot of things that led to nowhere, but they gave me skills that got me shots at jobs later. A good advisor will help lead you in a direction that will allow for you to be employed after graduate school. Any professor that thinks that all of their students will be full-time researchers after graduation has lost all reality. The reality of of is about 10% will land tenure track positions eventually, maybe another 25% or so at a national lab, the rest will try to get into industry and not do anything close to their work for a degree. One of the best things that happened to me was we lost funding. I was forced to go out into industry and get a job. Got me 2 years experience while I was finishing up, probably one of the best things I ever did. I hated the company after about 6 months, but I learned skills that would never have otherwise. I learned how to write contract proposals, final reports, responses to requests for information, etc...these are things that need to be learned eventually.

I'm not totally ignoring the idea of getting a decent job, but everyone is discouraged under the notion that you don't make money in the world of science.

Science isn't about money... or atleast I'd like to think not. It is in it's own way, but you shouldn't go into it for the money.

I once wanted to get a Ph.D in Mathematics. I now realize that I was a madman for putting myself in that direction, and madmen don't get married and have kids.

I find I don't want to spend 10 years of my life trying to get the word Doctor put infront of my name. I'de much rather get married and have kids right a way, and give them a happy life with an engineering job. I'm actually considering leaving the whole mathematics and physics behind because of my madness for it. I'm tired of being mad.

So then that leaves me with an incredible talent in solving Math and Physics problems. Anyways, I just want a woman and some kids to go home to everyday with no worrys about any math or physics.

Last edited:
zeronem said:
I once wanted to get a Ph.D in Mathematics. I now realize that I was a madman for putting myself in that direction, and madmen don't get married and have kids.
I found I didn't want to spend 10 years of my life trying to get the word Doctor put infront of my name. I'de much rather get married and have kids right a way, and give them a happy life with an engineering job. I'm actually considering leaving the whole mathematics and physics behind because of my madness for it. I'm tired of being mad.
So then that leaves me with an incredible talent in solving Math and Physics problems. Anyways, I just want a woman and some kids to go home to everyday with no worrys about any math or physics.

If that's what you are looking for, that's great. I'm really happy that you achieved that. :biggrin: Not very many people are happy with what they have.

when I interviewed at my institution, i met the guy whose job it turned out i was getting. he was not productive enough to be kept, so he did not get tenure, and was forced to leave academe for the real world. three years later i thought i was a big success, the fair haired boy of my department, my researchj was booming, and i had opportunities to do postdocs for a pittance at the ebst places, and he happened to return for a vist. he was making three times what i was, and had no desire whatever to come back to university life. he never did, and i stayed where i am.i have had a chance to do research in between heavy teaching loads, relative to many places, and have had to struggle to pay tuition for my oewn kids when they showed the promise also to go to top schools. there are no generous merit scholarships for such students anymore as there were in the 60's and we had to pay through the nose just to send them where they deserved to go.

don't be too quick to poo poo the remarksa of someone who has been thriugh the life, if you are young and foolish. he is only trying to give you some benefit of his experience. there is a lot of truth in it, negative as it may sound.

how do you think i =feel reading about baseball and nasketball players who are unsatisfied making 10 million a year and jump their team to go where they make 13 milliion a year? when I have to worry after a lifetime of productive science about whether i can afford to retire before i become incapacitated, or too sick to work.

yopung people do not understand that they too will bhecome aold ansd sick soie day, and may ot be able to afford to take care of themselves ot ehir family. keep it in mind. follow your dream, but don't be foolish.

mathwonk said:
yopung people do not understand that they too will bhecome aold ansd sick soie day, and may ot be able to afford to take care of themselves ot ehir family. keep it in mind. follow your dream, but don't be foolish.

I think i would belong to the group of young people nowadays:smile:

Anyhow, mathwonk, what you state here is completely true but do not think that people, in the beginning of their career, do not worry about that. This is in fact something i think about very much abd it is even one of the reasons why i doubt to pursue a phd although i am very close at getting my scholarship (i have had some very positive feedback from the jury).

regards
marlon

zeronem said:
...and madmen don't get married and have kids.
They don't? That's not what my father taught me...:biggrin:

It will be interesting to see how any of the above expressed views will evolve over the next 20 to 30 years.

Times change, government and national funding priorities change, university and commercial directions change and you change too! Maintain the idealism but temper it with an occasional dose of reality.

michealsmith said:
In contrast, a doctor typically enters private practice at 29, a lawyer at 25 and makes partner at 31, and a computer scientist with a Ph.D. has a very good job at 27 (computer science and engineering are the few fields in which industrial demand makes it sensible to get a Ph.D.).

Wahey! I'm doing a PhD in engineering!

Suckers...

Actually, going from an engineering/comp.sci post doc to a permanant position in a university (my one at least) is pretty hard to get too. There are post-docs in my department who finished their PhD 4/5 years ago that are not anywhere near getting a permanent position. Although some of them are content with staying put on a rolling 1 year contract, others have to travel to get experience in the hope of becoming permanent.

PS

Correct me if I'm wrong. There is a general perception that physics is not a practical discipline. I totally disagree with that because condensed matter physics is very practical. However, let's say you interview for a job with an aerospace company for a research/engineering position and you are asked what your professional interests are. Don't say "condensed matter physics", but instead say "high temperature materials." I know its sad, but that's how most of industry sees the physics displine. I think most physics people could work as mechanical/electrical engineers and be very good at it. If a person wants to go into physics they should make sure they have marketable skills. For instance, learn Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) or structural analysis. Learn how to use a Finite Element software package. Thats just one example. Have a theorertical and practical side.

Modey3

Modey3 said:
... Have a theorertical and practical side.

Exactly, the budding string theorist in most likelyhood will not find a permanent position as a resident theorist. You have to have marketable skills. A large percentage of the people who get theoretical physics degrees will not spend the rest of their life doing purely theoretical work, you have to be able to do some experimental work also. My PhD is in theoretical solid state physics, I spend 75% or more of my time in the lab taking data. We are rebuilding a measurement system, a large portion of the instrumentation control rebuild has been thrown on me. I'm liking it because I get to learn a new skill, Labview and how to make automated measurements from a home-grown system. Humbling to find out that a single axis motor control unit will frustrate you all week because you don't have any idea about how to make it work. But it has to be learned the hard way...

Huh.

So I guess the idea I am getting from this thread is that, if one (like myself) is determined to become a theoretical physicist, he or she needs to play their cards in their education in such a way that would leave job opportunities in both acedemia and industry.