Inequalities between a real number and an imaginary number

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving complex numbers and the use of the inequality symbol. The participants discuss the meaning of this symbol in the context of complex numbers and suggest alternate approaches to solving the problem. It is noted that the set of complex numbers is not an ordered field and that the absolute value signs may be necessary. Ultimately, the original poster realizes they made a mistake in a previous step and will post a new topic for further help.
phosgene

Homework Statement

I'm just having a problem with a step that's part of a larger problem. Specifically, if I have:

[itex]\sqrt{2}i\leq\sqrt{2}[/itex]

I'm not sure what this actually means. If I ignore the i, each side is the same distance from the origin if I imagine both points on a graph, implying that both sides are equal. But I don't know whether this is a correct interpretation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think without a definition of ##\le## for complex numbers, that means anything, and there isn't a generally accepted one. Perhaps try to solve your problem a different way, or try to figure out what ##\le## means in the context of this problem.

As whovian said, the set of complex numbers is NOT an ordered field. Perhaps you intended absolute values? [itex]\left|\sqrt{2}i\right|= \sqrt{2}[/itex].

Sorry, yes, I forgot to include the absolute value signs! But it turns out I got a previous step in the problem wrong, anyway...so I'll just post a different topic on the whole thing. Thanks for the replies though :)

What is the difference between a real number and an imaginary number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on the number line and includes all rational and irrational numbers. An imaginary number is a number that, when squared, gives a negative result. It is typically represented by the letter i.

Can real and imaginary numbers be added or subtracted?

Yes, real and imaginary numbers can be added or subtracted. When adding or subtracting, the real numbers are combined and the imaginary numbers are combined separately. For example, (3+2i) + (5+4i) = (3+5) + (2i+4i) = 8 + 6i.

What is the result of multiplying a real number with an imaginary number?

The result of multiplying a real number with an imaginary number is another imaginary number. For example, 3i x 2 = 6i. This is because when multiplying two imaginary numbers, the i terms are multiplied together and the real numbers are multiplied together.

Can imaginary numbers be represented on a number line?

No, imaginary numbers cannot be represented on a number line because they do not have a physical position on the number line. They are only represented by the letter i and their position can only be visualized in the complex plane.

What are some real-world applications of imaginary numbers?

Imaginary numbers are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to represent various quantities, such as electrical current in circuits, the displacement of a wave, and interest rates. They also have applications in solving certain types of equations, such as the quadratic formula.