Inertia - Moments of Inertia of a rigid body (different axes)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the moment of inertia for a rigid body with different axes. The general rule is to use the formula for moment of inertia and to ignore the mass of the interconnecting rods. The solution involves calculating the mr^2 number for each ball and adding them together. There are no subtractions involved in the calculation.
frownifdown
Inertia -- Moments of Inertia of a rigid body (different axes)

Here is the problem http://imgur.com/pL6Bdgw

So I missed class today because I was studying for a genetics test. I don't need the answer or anything but I was wondering what the general rule for inertia that I would use for solving this problem. I looked up some inertia rules but don't really see how they apply. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
frownifdown said:
Here is the problem http://imgur.com/pL6Bdgw

So I missed class today because I was studying for a genetics test. I don't need the answer or anything but I was wondering what the general rule for inertia that I would use for solving this problem. I looked up some inertia rules but don't really see how they apply. Thanks in advance

The general concept is the "moment of inertia". Look up that formula, and the problem should be straightforward.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
The general concept is the "moment of inertia". Look up that formula, and the problem should be straightforward.

Alright so I looked it up and saw the equation for it (I=mr^2 correct?). Now the problem says to ignore the mass so do I just count the distance from each ball to each axis and square and add them? That seems very tedious. Can you get it from just looking at them?

frownifdown said:
Alright so I looked it up and saw the equation for it (I=mr^2 correct?).
Right. That's the moment of inertia for a point mass, which is what you need.

Now the problem says to ignore the mass so do I just count the distance from each ball to each axis and square and add them?
Yes. (You are ignoring the mass of the rods, not the balls.)

That seems very tedious. Can you get it from just looking at them?
Get busy! (No shortcuts.)

frownifdown said:
Alright so I looked it up and saw the equation for it (I=mr^2 correct?). Now the problem says to ignore the mass so do I just count the distance from each ball to each axis and square and add them? That seems very tedious. Can you get it from just looking at them?

It says to ignore the masses of the interconnecting rods. So yes, you do the sum of the mr^2 number about each axis to get the total I for each axis. Ignore the masses that are on-axis for this problem. It should go pretty fast... :smile:EDIT -- Doc is quicker on the draw than I am, again! :smile:

Alright, so I went through and thought I did it right but apparently not. I got G>D>A>F>E>B=C

Edit: I just went back and realized that my value for C was wrong, and it should be 16 instead of 7. I'm unsure on how to add and if there should be negatives though. For instance, would B be 7 or 1? Would I add the 4 on top and subtract 3 from the bottom or would they all contribute 1 to it.

Nevermind, Solved! Thanks everyone

Last edited:
frownifdown said:
Alright, so I went through and thought I did it right but apparently not. I got G>D>A>F>E>B=C

Edit: I just went back and realized that my value for C was wrong, and it should be 16 instead of 7. I'm unsure on how to add and if there should be negatives though. For instance, would B be 7 or 1? Would I add the 4 on top and subtract 3 from the bottom or would they all contribute 1 to it.

There are no subtractions in MOI calculations...

1. What is inertia and how does it relate to moments of inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of a body to resist changes in its state of motion. Moments of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, are a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. Inertia and moments of inertia are closely related because they both describe an object's resistance to changes in motion.

2. What is a rigid body and how does it differ from a non-rigid body?

A rigid body is a theoretical concept used in physics to describe a body that maintains its shape and size even when subjected to external forces. This means that the distances between different points on the body remain constant. In contrast, a non-rigid body can deform and change shape when subjected to external forces.

3. How do you calculate moments of inertia for a rigid body?

The formula for calculating moments of inertia for a rigid body is I = ∫(r^2)dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the element of mass, and dm is the mass of the element. This integral must be evaluated over the entire mass of the object to get the total moment of inertia.

4. What are the different axes used to calculate moments of inertia?

The three main axes used to calculate moments of inertia are the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. These axes are perpendicular to each other and intersect at the center of mass of the object. Other possible axes include the principal axes of inertia, which are the axes that pass through the center of mass and have the maximum or minimum moment of inertia.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia of a rigid body?

The distribution of mass in a rigid body has a significant impact on its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass concentrated farther away from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but with the mass distributed closer to the axis of rotation. This is because the farther the mass is from the axis, the more resistance it has to changes in rotational motion.