Question: How do I prove the current division law for two resistors in parallel?

In summary, my professor gave us the task of proving the current division law for two resistors in parallel. I know that the voltage across parallel resistors is the same, and that the sum of the branch currents adds to the sum of the total current. I need to manipulate I_s= I_1 + I_2 somehow to derive I_1= \frac{I_sR_2}{R_1 + R_2}. I am running in circles and need help to work out an expression for Vs in terms of the total resistance of the circuit and Is.
RadiationX
My professor gave us the task of proving the current division law for two resistors in parallel. I know that the voltage across parallel resistors is the same, and that the sum of the branch currents adds to the sum of the total current.

Here is the question:

Prove that [tex]I_1= \frac{I_sR_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex] ; [tex] I_s[/tex] = the source current.

Now, this is what I know: [tex] I_s= I_1 +I_2[/tex]

That is about as far as I can get. I know that I need to manipulate [tex] I_s= I_1 +I_2[/tex] somehow to derive [tex]I_1= \frac{I_sR_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex].

This is the first time I have ever been assigned a proof and I don't have any experience solving them, so my tool set is kind of lacking.

As a side note I would like to be able to prove 'simple' theorems like this. I think it would give me a level of insight that I don't currently have.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I = V/R, correct? Please show us more work. Relax and focus.

yes I = V/R so...

[tex]I_s= \frac{V_s}{R_1} +\frac{V_s}{R_2}[/tex]

It appears that the thing to do here is get rid of the fractions. I have done this on paper, but I am not seeing a critical relationship when I work through it.

Last edited:
RadiationX said:
yes I = V/R so...

[tex]I_s= \frac{V_s}{R_1} +\frac{V_s}{R_2}[/tex]

It appears that the thing to do here is get rid of the fractions. I have done this on paper, but I am not seeing a critical relationship when I work through it.

Good. So write the equation for each leg...

The equation for each leg? Well, each leg is just back to the current again. Right? [tex] \frac{V_S}{R_1} + \frac{V_S}{R_2} = I_1 + I_2[/tex].

I'm running in circles!:cry:

Try to work out an expression for Vs in terms of the total resistance of the circuit and Is (so find the equivalent resistance of two resistors in parallel).

You can eliminate [itex]I_2[/itex] from the equation [itex]I_s=I_1+I_2[/itex], if you use the V=RI law to express [itex]I_2[/itex] as a function of [itex]I_1[/itex].

1. What is "Proof of current division"?

Proof of current division is a scientific concept used to explain how a current flowing through a single conductor divides and flows through multiple branches in a circuit.

2. How does "Proof of current division" work?

According to Ohm's Law, the total current in a circuit is equal to the sum of the currents in each branch. This means that the current will divide among the branches in proportion to their resistance. The branch with the least resistance will have the highest current and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating current division?

The formula for calculating current division is I1 = I * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where I1 is the current in the first branch, I is the total current, R1 is the resistance in the first branch, and R2 is the resistance in the second branch.

4. How is "Proof of current division" useful in real-world applications?

Understanding current division is important in designing and analyzing electronic circuits. By using this concept, engineers can ensure that the desired amount of current flows through each component in a circuit, preventing damage or malfunction.

5. What are some factors that can affect current division in a circuit?

The main factors that can affect current division in a circuit are the resistance of each branch and the total resistance in the circuit. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and external forces can also have an impact on current division.