Bond dissosication energy question

• Thread starter cake_is_a_lie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the bond dissociation energy for K+Br- when only the bond length is known. The equation D0 = De - 0.5hω is mentioned but not helpful as the values for ω and De are unknown. There is a suggestion to use an inorganic chemistry method and another person mentions using a purely ionic bond approach to calculate the energy.
cake_is_a_lie
Hello,
How can I calculate the bond dissociation energy for K+Br- when I only know the the length of the bond?
Equation D0 = De - 0.5hω does not help because I do not know ω and De. ω is the vibrational frequency of the bond.
Thank you for your advice beforehand.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
isn't there an inorganic chemistry way to this.
I'm not really sure but i do remember finding energy of NaCl by i guess born haber cycle

If you assume its a purely ionic bond, you can calculate its energy just from electrostatic attraction. You know the initial distance, you known charges, just move atoms to infinity.

What is bond dissociation energy?

Bond dissociation energy (BDE) is the amount of energy required to break a chemical bond and separate the bonded atoms. It is also known as bond energy or bond strength.

How is bond dissociation energy measured?

Bond dissociation energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). It can be experimentally determined using techniques such as spectroscopy, calorimetry, or chemical reactions.

What factors affect bond dissociation energy?

The strength of a chemical bond and therefore the bond dissociation energy is influenced by several factors, including bond length, bond order, electronegativity, and molecular geometry.

How is bond dissociation energy related to chemical reactions?

Bond dissociation energy is an important factor in determining the stability and reactivity of molecules. A higher bond dissociation energy means that the bond is stronger and therefore more difficult to break, making the molecule less reactive.

How does bond dissociation energy differ between different types of bonds?

Bond dissociation energy varies depending on the type of bond. For example, single bonds tend to have lower bond dissociation energies than double bonds, and triple bonds tend to have the highest bond dissociation energies. This is due to the number of bonds between the atoms and the strength of the bond itself.