TINKER molecular mechanics modeling

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with using the TINKER program for energy minimization calculations in their undergraduate research. They are specifically having trouble locating the TINKER directory folder and understanding how to use the dynamics.exe program. They have searched through the user manual and online tutorials for guidance but have been unsuccessful so far.
Lambin
Hello PF,

I've been given the daunting task of performing energy minimization calculations for my undergraduate research assignment. Is there someone with experience using TINKER? I wanted to use the dynamics.exe for calculations of a protein peptide sequence and it's asking me to enter a coordinate file name. I use Avogadro to create a file of the protein coordinates in the appropriate file format it requests, .xyz. So my problem is, where is the TINKER directory folder located? It is to my understanding that I have to put my coordinate file in the directory folder for the program to invoke it. I tried putting it into the folder that contains the program, but that didn't work.

Included with the TINKER bundle package is a bunch of executable programs that performs a variety of different calculations... I've read through their user manual, and tried looking through tutorials online but no luck thus far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could anyone guide me in the right direction to figure out how to use the dynamics.exe program? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Related to TINKER molecular mechanics modeling

1. What is TINKER molecular mechanics modeling?

TINKER is a software package used for molecular mechanics simulations, which is a computational method for studying the physical behavior of molecules based on classical physics principles.

2. What types of molecules can be modeled with TINKER?

TINKER can model a wide range of molecules, including small organic molecules, proteins, nucleic acids, and other biomolecules.

3. How does TINKER calculate molecular interactions?

TINKER uses force fields, which are mathematical functions that describe the potential energy of a molecule based on the positions of its atoms. These force fields are based on experimental data and quantum mechanics calculations.

4. What types of analyses can be performed with TINKER?

TINKER can perform a variety of analyses, including energy minimization, molecular dynamics simulations, and normal mode analysis. It can also calculate properties such as bond lengths, angles, and dihedral angles.

5. Is TINKER user-friendly for beginners?

TINKER has a steep learning curve and requires some knowledge of molecular mechanics principles and programming. However, there are tutorials and user guides available to help beginners get started with using the software.