What does it mean for an online college to be accredited?

In summary, accreditation is an important factor to consider when choosing an online college. It means that the college has been recognized by accrediting agencies and offers quality education on par with traditional colleges. This also allows for credit transfers, financial aid, and recognition from potential employers. It is advised to research and choose a college with legitimate accreditation to ensure a worthwhile education.
Peterjase
I'm try to decide about online college and I keep finding all sorts of information about a college must be accredited. What does this mean? how does it help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Peterjase said:
I'm try to decide about online college and I keep finding all sorts of information about a college must be accredited. What does this mean? how does it help me?

Some accredition body has given it a certificate for their quality, competence etc.

If it doesn't have accreditation, it's pretty much worthless is what it means. The question gets more complicated because of the number of different accrediting group around and which ones are recognized as legitimate or not by others. If the accrediting group is not recognized by universities accredited by another accrediting group, then you would not be able to transfer any credits from your online courses to another university.

I don't know of any entirely online colleges that are worth the cost of the paper their coursework is printed on. :wink: What you are more likely to find that could be worth your while are online courses offered through traditional universities for the non-traditional student.

Good advise Moonbear. Look for major universities that have online or at home courses.

Moonbear said:
I don't know of any entirely online colleges that are worth the cost of the paper their coursework is printed on. :wink: What you are more likely to find that could be worth your while are online courses offered through traditional universities for the non-traditional student.

Yup. My sister is in community college right now and she had some sort of math class online, but otherwise her classes were well, in class.

Especially if it's a science degree being offered is when it's bogus. You can't really know something about science without doing lab work. Science depends on experiments at least as much as on theory and math.

It means that the college is recognized by the accrediting agencies that also accredit traditional colleges, in the sense that it offers quality education that is at par with regular college. It also helps incase you want to transfer credits from one college to another, you can't do this if the college is not accredited. Also incase you'd want to apply for financial aid or other grants, this is only possible through an accredited college. Most employers also don't recognize degrees acquired from colleges that don't have legitimate accreditation.

You can get more information about why college accreditation is important to your education from: http://www.distance-learning-college-guide.com/

Related to What does it mean for an online college to be accredited?

1. What is accreditation and why is it important for an online college?

Accreditation is a process where an external organization evaluates and verifies that an educational institution meets certain standards of quality and academic rigor. For an online college, accreditation is important because it ensures that the education provided is of high quality and recognized by other institutions and employers.

2. How does an online college become accredited?

An online college must go through a rigorous evaluation process by an accrediting agency. This process includes reviewing curriculum, faculty qualifications, student support services, and overall educational outcomes. If the college meets the standards set by the agency, they will be granted accreditation status.

3. Is there a difference between regional and national accreditation for online colleges?

Yes, there is a difference between regional and national accreditation for online colleges. Regional accreditation is generally considered more prestigious and is granted by one of six regional accrediting agencies in the United States. National accreditation is typically granted by a specialized agency and may be more focused on a specific field of study.

4. Are all accredited online colleges equal in terms of quality education?

No, not all accredited online colleges are equal in terms of quality education. While accreditation ensures that a college meets certain standards, the level of quality may still vary between institutions. It is important to research and compare online colleges to find one that best fits your educational needs and goals.

5. What happens if an online college loses its accreditation?

If an online college loses its accreditation, it may lose its ability to receive federal financial aid and its degrees may not be recognized by other institutions or employers. It is important to regularly check the accreditation status of an online college to ensure that it is still a reputable and recognized institution.