Integral simplification with dummy variable s

In summary, the conversation was about deriving the solution for a partial differential equation of a wave with a time-dependent forcing term. The method used was variation of parameters and the solution was obtained using a homogeneous solution and a particular solution. The particular solution involved using a dummy variable "s" to simplify integrals, which can be expressed as a definite integral with the upper limit as t.
Xyius
Integral simplification with dummy variable "s"

I am looking at the derivation for the solution to solve the partial differential equation of a wave with a time-dependant forcing term h(x,t). In the derivation they get to a point where they need to solve the following second order ODE.

[tex]u''(t)+(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L})^2u(t)=h(t)[/tex]

The method here would be variation of parameters. I obtained a homogeneous solution of..

[tex]c_1cos(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)+c_2sin(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)[/tex]
Which the book also got.
I got this for the particular solution after using variation of parameters...
[tex]\int h(t)cos(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)dt-\int h(t)sin(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)dt[/tex]

The book got..
[tex]\frac{L}{n \pi \alpha} \int^{t}_{0} h(s)sin[\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}(t-s)]ds[/tex]

Now I know these must somehow be the same (unless I messed up using variation of parameters) but I am new to using a dummy variable "s" to simplify integrals like this. I have seen it a couple times but do not have much practice with it. If anyone could help me through this it would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Xyius said:
I am looking at the derivation for the solution to solve the partial differential equation of a wave with a time-dependant forcing term h(x,t). In the derivation they get to a point where they need to solve the following second order ODE.

[tex]u''(t)+(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L})^2u(t)=h(t)[/tex]

The method here would be variation of parameters. I obtained a homogeneous solution of..

[tex]c_1cos(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)+c_2sin(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)[/tex]
Which the book also got.
I got this for the particular solution after using variation of parameters...
[tex]\int h(t)cos(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)dt-\int h(t)sin(\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}t)dt[/tex]

The book got..
[tex]\frac{L}{n \pi \alpha} \int^{t}_{0} h(s)sin[\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}(t-s)]ds[/tex]

Now I know these must somehow be the same (unless I messed up using variation of parameters) but I am new to using a dummy variable "s" to simplify integrals like this. I have seen it a couple times but do not have much practice with it. If anyone could help me through this it would be great!

Thanks!

I will use y for your dependent variable and rename your constant

[tex]k =\frac{\alpha n \pi}{L}[/tex]

[tex]y'' + k^2 y = h(t)[/tex]

and your homogeneous solution pair {sin(kt), cos(kt)}. OK so far. Now you looked for a particular solution

yp = u cos(kt) + v sin(kt)

and you should have gotten (I think you missed a k in the denominator which you can fix):

[tex]u' = -\frac{ h(t)\sin(kt)}{k},\ v' = \frac {h(t)\cos(kt)}{k}[/tex]

Now integrating to find u and v is where you can express the integrals as functions of the upper limit with a definite integral using a dummy variable for the integrand. Using 0 for the lower limit just affects the constant of integration but you are looking for any particular solution so you don't care. You could use any lower limit:

[tex]u(t) = \int_0^t -\frac{ h(s)\sin(ks)}{k}\, ds[/tex]

[tex]v(t) = \int_0^t \frac {h(s)\cos(ks)}{k}\, ds[/tex]

Now, remembering that yp = u cos(kt) + v sin(kt) you get

[tex]y_p = \cos(kt)\int_0^t -\frac{ h(s)\sin(ks)}{k}\, ds + \sin(kt)\int_0^t \frac {h(s)\cos(ks)}{k}\, ds[/tex]

Now you can rewrite that as one big integral with the 1/k out in front and the sin(kt) and cos(kt) inside the integrals because they don't depend on s and you will see an addition formula you should recognize, not to mention the book's answer.

Ohh! Thank you very much! I understand now :D

FAQ: Integral simplification with dummy variable s

1. What is integral simplification with dummy variables?

Integral simplification with dummy variables is a mathematical technique used to simplify integrals by replacing variables within the integral with dummy variables. This allows for easier computation and evaluation of the integral.

2. Why are dummy variables used in integral simplification?

Dummy variables are used in integral simplification because they allow for easier substitution and manipulation of the integral. They act as placeholders for the original variables and can be easily substituted back in at the end of the simplification process.

3. How do you choose the dummy variable in integral simplification?

The choice of dummy variable is arbitrary and does not affect the final result of the integral. It is often chosen to be a single letter, such as x or t, and should not conflict with any other variables in the integral.

4. Can integral simplification with dummy variables be used for all types of integrals?

Yes, integral simplification with dummy variables can be used for all types of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. It is particularly useful for integrals with multiple variables or complex expressions.

5. What is the difference between integral simplification with dummy variables and integration by substitution?

Integral simplification with dummy variables is a specific technique used to simplify integrals, while integration by substitution is a method for evaluating integrals. Dummy variables are often used in integration by substitution, but they can also be used in other types of integral simplification techniques.