Can You Visualize the Definition of Lim Inf Using a Simple Example?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of lim inf (limit inferior) and its relation to the limit of a sequence. The concept is illustrated using the example of a bounded series, sin(x), and how the lim inf can be understood as the infimum of the limits of all sub sequences. The conversation ends with a request for a visual example to better understand the concept.
transgalactic
my question and where i got stuck in the solution are in this link:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5316/84661104oi7.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two sequences {xn} and {yn} and say that "by Bolzano-Weierstrasse", [itex]\underline{\lim_{n\rightarrrow \infty}x_n}\le \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}x_{N_n}[/itex].

I will guess, from your other posts, that the underline is meant to be "lim inf" but what is [itex]x_{N_n}[/itex]? An arbitrary subsequence of the sequence? If so, that would appear to follow directly from the definition of "lim inf" as the infimum of the set of all subsequential limits.

You then refer to the "bounded series y= sin(x)" which is neither a series nor a sequence but a function.

so the lim inf is the infimum of the limits of all the sub sequences

can you give a visual example that shows that

lim inf Xn<=lim Xn by that lim inf definition

i can't link them together

??

Last edited:

1. How do I create visualizations for complex data sets?

There are several tools available for creating visualizations of complex data sets, including software programs like Tableau, Excel, and Python. Depending on your specific needs and data, different tools may be more suitable. It's important to carefully select and learn the tools that best fit your data and objectives.

2. What are some techniques for effectively visualizing data?

Some common techniques for visualizing data include bar charts, line graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. It's important to choose the right type of visualization for your data and to use colors and labels effectively to clearly communicate your message.

3. How do I choose the right colors for my data visualizations?

When choosing colors for your data visualizations, it's important to consider color contrast, accessibility, and audience preferences. It's also helpful to have a color scheme in mind and to use a limited number of colors to avoid overwhelming the viewer.

4. Can I use data visualization to tell a story?

Absolutely! Data visualization is a powerful tool for storytelling and can help you communicate complex information in a visually appealing and engaging way. It's important to structure your visualizations in a way that supports the narrative you want to convey.

5. How can I effectively use data visualizations in presentations or reports?

To effectively use data visualizations in presentations or reports, it's important to provide context and explain the data in a clear and concise manner. Make sure to use appropriate labels and titles, and consider the best placement and size for your visualizations to enhance their impact.