Total velocity potential and velocity components (Wave equation Potentials)

In summary, the question is asking for the second component of velocity, which can be found by taking the partial derivative of the total velocity potential with respect to y. The total velocity potential is the sum of the incident and reflected potentials, which are both dependent on the angle theta. The assumption is made that the curl of the total velocity is equal to zero, and the second component can be calculated using the given equations.
dustydude

Homework Statement

hey I am having trouble figuring this out. The question states that i am to find the second component of velocity?

there is a plane wave incident on a surface at (0,0).

Homework Equations

the incident potential is
[tex]\Psi^{I} (x,t)= A\, e^{-i\omega (t- \frac{1}{c}(x\,sin\theta -y\,cos\theta)) }[/tex]
the reflected potential is
[tex]\Psi^{R} (x,t)= A\, e^{-i\omega (t- \frac{1}{c}(x\,sin\theta +y\,cos\theta)) }[/tex]

theta is the angle which the wave makes with the y axis.
i think there is an assumption that
[tex]\triangledown \times \mathbf{u} = 0[/tex] such that [tex]\mathbf{u}=\triangledown \Psi [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First is the total velocity potential then just,
[tex]\Psi= \Psi^{I}+ \Psi^{R}[/tex]

and then the second component of u would be
[tex] \frac{\partial } {\partial y}(\Psi^{I}+\Psi^{R})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
= A\, e^{-i\omega (t- \frac{1}{c}(x\,sin\theta -y\,cos\theta)) }(-cos\theta) + A\, e^{-i\omega (t- \frac{1}{c}(x\,sin\theta +y\,cos\theta)) }(cos\theta)

1. What is total velocity potential?

Total velocity potential is a scalar function that represents the sum of all the velocity potentials in a flow field. It is used to describe the potential flow of a fluid, where the flow is irrotational and incompressible.

2. How is total velocity potential related to the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of a wave through a medium. In fluid dynamics, the wave equation is used to solve for the total velocity potential, which represents the potential flow of a fluid.

3. What are the velocity components in a wave equation potential?

The velocity components in a wave equation potential are the x, y, and z components of the fluid velocity. These components are derived from the total velocity potential and can be used to calculate the velocity at any point in the fluid flow.

4. How is the total velocity potential used in fluid dynamics?

The total velocity potential is used to study potential flows in fluid dynamics. It is particularly useful for analyzing irrotational and incompressible flows, such as those found in aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. It is also used in the calculation of lift and drag forces on objects moving through a fluid.

5. Can the total velocity potential be measured experimentally?

No, the total velocity potential cannot be measured directly as it is a theoretical concept. However, it can be calculated or approximated using mathematical models and equations based on the given fluid flow conditions. Experimental measurements can be used to validate these calculations.