Now i find myself in a bit of an indecision

• Thread starter theman408
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary: EE has a lot of disciplines that appeal to me and the fact that it can cross over into so many other disciplines makes it really appealing.In summary, the author is considering a career in Power engineering and is unsure if continuing on to a second degree in Mechanical Engineering is a good idea. He likes the variety that Mechanical Engineering offers and thinks that it may be a good idea to pursue a second degree if the first was not an engineering degree. He would like to be doing work in the design of bridges, medical devices, power plants, and refinery plants in the future.
theman408
I thought i had made my career decision, after transfering engineering school and going from a Computer Engineering program to an Electrical Engineering program. I thought EE was right for me and i enjoyed my first Circuit Class though i didn't do to well the first time.

I haven't taken any Power classes which is right now my main interest in EE but other than that it seems like I am missing something else.

Other than EE, i really like Mechanical and Civil Engineering, the design aspects of those disciplines really intrigue me. I've been thinking for a month know if i should stay with the EE degree and then do a second major in either ME or Civil which would possibly make me a much more flexibile engineer.

I love all aspects of Engineering, the math, the Physics and the challenge so i know that Engineering is right for me. Which one exactly i don't know, i thought i had figured it out.

What do you guys suggest i do? and is that second engineering major a viable option?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you guys think if i took me 2 more years to complete a BS in Mechanical Engineering after completing one in EE? and i love both.

You should stick with EE only and think about a career in Instrumentation and Control engineering. From the way I understand I&C you need to have broad knowledge of the system you are trying to control (Power, Nuclear, Oil&Gas, Utilities, Automotive, Aeronautical etc). Its a good way to get into the Mechanical aspects of engineering. Also, from what I hear, it's only a good idea to get a second BS *If and Only If* the first was non-engineering and the second was.

I switched from Mechanical Engineering to Computer Engineering and now I think I would like to specialize more in Power systems, Processes and Control which is typically the domain of EE's. I will most likely have to do some leg work to land those kinds of positions with a BS in Computer Engineering.

What did you like/ dislike about Mechanical Engineering??

The ME that they offer at my college, they have some related classes to EE like Power Plant Engineering, Energy Conversion, Automatic Controls, Systems Dynamics, Energy Auditing.

Im curious to know why is it not a good idea to complete the two grades?

Id really love to know as i have all summer to decide if i need a career change before the 3rd year+ engineering classes start to come in.

To be honest the switch was more of a "grass is greener" kind of reason but I 110% do not regret the move because it was truly for the right reasons (passions, career interests, academic interests etc). I was also looking for long term creativity in the work I did. I thought software (embedded, scientific, business) might be interesting but I didn't like the long term career prospects.

As for two undergrad degrees I can only ask you to look around. I'm not sure you will find too many people with two undergraduate degrees let alone engineering degrees.

If you don't mind could you tell me the sort of work you would like to be doing in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years etc from now (e.g designing bridges,medical electronics, power plants, refinery plants, car transmission boxes etc). It will help us better understand where your interest lie and how important things like geographic location, salary potential, job security, responsibilty, prestige etc are to you.

I really enjoy team projects ever since i started out my engineering degree, i see myself doing electrical layout designs on a building or a housing project but i would also like to be involved in water pump designs in the same building. Id like to see myself in a corp of engineers of some sort, or a firm doing work for the local town or city, big or small projects and it includes power plants/refinieries if it applies to that location.

In addition to that i have interest in Robotics and Control, The design of aircraft also intrigue me.

If there was an Engineering that had everything i have interest in, id be physiqued really.

What does it mean to be in an indecision?

Being in an indecision means that you are unsure or uncertain about a decision that you need to make.

Why do people experience indecision?

People experience indecision for a variety of reasons, such as conflicting priorities, fear of making the wrong choice, lack of information, or difficulty weighing pros and cons.

How can indecision affect a person's life?

Indecision can lead to stress, anxiety, and procrastination. It can also result in missed opportunities, strained relationships, and a feeling of being stuck or unfulfilled.

What are some strategies for overcoming indecision?

Some strategies for overcoming indecision include gathering information, seeking advice from trusted individuals, making a pros and cons list, setting a deadline for decision-making, and trusting your intuition.

When should someone seek professional help for indecision?

If indecision is significantly impacting a person's daily life and causing distress, it may be beneficial to seek help from a therapist or counselor who can provide guidance and support in decision-making.