Non-uniform circular motion (i think)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the necessary tangential acceleration and velocity at which a hollow tube breaks, as well as the time it takes to reach that velocity. The context is a 600 g steel block rotating on a steel table and connected to a hollow tube where compressed air is ejected from a nozzle to exert a thrust force. The maximum tension the tube can withstand without breaking is also mentioned. The conversation includes questions about the specifics of the problem and the use of kinetic friction and centripetal acceleration in solving it.
bigredd87
I guess I need to find a tangential acceleration or something and and velocity at which the tube breaks and also a time it takes to get to that velocity, but I'm not sure. Can anybody help please?

A 600 g steel block rotates on a steel table while attached to a 1.20 m-long hollow tube. Compressed air fed through the tube and ejected from a nozzle on the back of the block exerts a thrust force of 4.81 N perpendicular to the tube. The maximum tension the tube can withstand without breaking is 60.0 N. If the block starts from rest, how many revolutions does the block complete before the tube breaks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a picture? In what plane is this rotating? What exactly does the nozzle do?

well i guess since it is a steel table it is rotating along the tangential axis, and here is the pic that i have. this pic along with what the problem is all the info I have. I also think that u have kinetic friction, so if that is the case, then the coefficient for steel on steel without lubrication is 0.6 (according to my physics book) so u can maybe use that.

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
You need to do two things:
(1) Determine the speed that requires the tube to exert a force equal to its breaking strength. Hint: Centripetal acceleration.
(2) Determine the tangential acceleration and use it to figure out how long it takes to get to the breaking speed.

1. What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object's velocity changes at different points along the path, resulting in an acceleration towards the center of the circle.

2. How is non-uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant throughout the circular path, resulting in a constant velocity. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points along the path, therefore resulting in a varying velocity.

3. What causes an object to undergo non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion can be caused by a variety of factors, such as an unbalanced force acting on the object, changes in the direction of the force, or changes in the radius of the circular path. It can also occur when an object is moving along a curved path with varying radii.

4. How is non-uniform circular motion related to centripetal and tangential acceleration?

In non-uniform circular motion, an object experiences both centripetal acceleration towards the center of the circle and tangential acceleration along the tangent of the circle. The magnitude of the centripetal acceleration is equal to the square of the tangential speed divided by the radius of the circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is commonly observed in many real-life situations, such as a car going around a curved road, a rollercoaster moving along a track, or a satellite orbiting around a planet. It can also be seen in sports, such as when a baseball or a tennis ball is thrown in a curved path.