Thermodynamics: Critical Point

In summary, our professor was talking about finding a critical point and proving it on our midterm exam. He mentioned that we would have to find a point beyond which a substance ceases to have a phase transition boundary and that the point is the critical point for water. He gave us a definition and said that one observes the critical point. Beyond that, he only gave us a few examples of what a critical point could be. I am not sure how to find the critical point for a given problem and am looking for help.
Spoolx
1. Find Critical Point and Prove it

2. dP/dV =0

3. n/a

Hey guys, so our professor was talking about critical points in class. He mentioned on our exam we would have to find a critical point and prove it.

Anyhow none of our homework problems ask this, and very little info in the book demonstrates this.

I am not asking for a specific question but basically how would I go about solving a problem like this? I know the critical constants are in the Thermodynamic Tables.
But if my professor asked for the critical points I would go to those tables, not sure how I would calculate them or prove them.

Any help is appreciated (I apologize if this is in the wrong forum)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as proofs go, I would start with the definition he gave of a critical point. You then need to show the situation satisfies the definition. Beyond that you've given very little to go on. What are you given from which to prove/find a CP?

Thats the thing, he really never said.

His exact words were.
"On your midterm you will be expected to find the critical point and prove it"

In the lecture notes he only mentions dP/dV = 0

In the book it mentions very little about the critical point and tells us to use the tables to find it.

I foresee his question being (although I am just guessing, this is what I am expecting.)

"Find the critical point of water, and prove it"

The critical point is the point beyond which a substance ceases to have a phase transition boundary. I.e. for water beyond a certain pressure and temperature which is its critical point its phase is that of a supercritical fluid where it will no longer transition to a conventional gas under increasing temperature nor to a conventional liquid or solid under increasing pressure.

The distinguishing feature is as you've cited the ability to compress without change in pressure (given fixed temperature), dP/dV=0.

One doesn't prove a critical point but rather observes it. The only "proof" I can imagine is an argument that the definition is satisfied so understand the definition.

Especially look at the definition of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_fluid" .

Last edited by a moderator:
for the question! A critical point in thermodynamics refers to the point at which a substance undergoes a phase transition, such as from a liquid to a gas. At this point, the temperature and pressure of the substance are at their critical values, and any further changes in temperature or pressure would result in a change in the phase of the substance. In order to find the critical point, you would need to use the thermodynamic tables to determine the critical temperature and pressure for a specific substance. The critical temperature is the temperature at which the substance transitions from a gas to a liquid, and the critical pressure is the pressure at which this transition occurs.

To prove the existence of a critical point, you can use the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which relates the change in temperature and pressure at a phase transition. By setting the derivative of this equation to zero, you can find the critical point where the slope of the curve is equal to zero, indicating a phase transition. This is represented by the equation dP/dT = 0.

I hope this helps in understanding how to find and prove the existence of a critical point in thermodynamics. Good luck on your exam!

1. What is the critical point in thermodynamics?

The critical point in thermodynamics is the point at which a substance transitions from liquid to gas, or vice versa, without any change in temperature or pressure. At this point, the liquid and gas phases become indistinguishable from each other.

2. How is the critical point determined?

The critical point is determined by plotting the temperature and pressure values of a substance on a phase diagram. The point at which the liquid-vapor boundary ends is the critical point.

3. What happens to a substance at its critical point?

At the critical point, a substance exhibits unique properties such as having the same density for both liquid and gas phases, as well as a high heat capacity. It also experiences a continuous change in volume with respect to changes in temperature and pressure.

4. Can the critical point be different for different substances?

Yes, the critical point can vary for different substances depending on their chemical composition, molecular structure, and intermolecular forces. For example, water has a critical point at 374 degrees Celsius and 218 atmospheres, while carbon dioxide has a critical point at -56.6 degrees Celsius and 73 atmospheres.

5. What is the significance of the critical point in thermodynamics?

The critical point is significant in understanding the behavior of substances at extreme conditions, such as high temperatures and pressures. It also helps in determining the conditions under which a substance can exist as a liquid or gas, and is crucial in various industrial applications, such as in chemical reactions and power generation.