Separable Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem understanding class notes on separable differential equations and how to solve the equation g(y)y' = f(x). The solution involves using the fact that the left side is the derivative of G(y(x)) and the right side is F(x) + C, and using the inverse of G(y(x)) to solve for y(x). However, the conversation also brings up the issue of some functions not having a unique inverse, leading to a nonsensical result in the given problem.
Moridin

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding my class notes from a lecture on separable differential equations.

I would like to solve the equation g(y)y' = f(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

g(y)y' = f(x), G(x), F(x) exists and are continuous

The left side is the derivative of G(y(x)) and the right is F(x) + C

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} G(y(x)) = \frac{d}{dx} F(x) + C[/tex]

G'(y(x))y'(x) = g(y(x))y'(x)

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (F(x) + C) = F'(x) + 0 = f(x)[/tex]

G(y(x)) = F(x) + C

So do you simply do

G-1(G(y(x))) = y(x) = G-1(F(x)) + G-1(C) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming [itex]G^{-1}[/itex] exists and is a 1:1 map, then yes...Some functions do not have inverses that uniquely determine y(x), for instance [itex]y^2(x)=F(x)+C \Rightarrow y(x)= \pm \sqrt{F(x)+C}[/itex] which is not a single valued function.

hello, I'm also taking a class on ODE but i have a problem -i use An Intro course in Diff. eq.'s by Zill - that i get a nonsense result here is the eq:

sin3x + 2y(cos3x)^3 = 0 (here ^ is to raise a power.how are u raising powers & all the mathematical writings?)

the eq in standard form look: (y^2)'=2ydy= -sin3x dx/2(cos 3x)^3.

the last result i get which is nonsense ofcourse is: y^2 = -1/6(cos3x)^2. another result includes tan3x but is still negative.

so y^2 is negative which is impossible. is the result right? I think there's a problem with the D.E. given.

hope u can help. thx

What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation in which the dependent and independent variables can be separated on opposite sides of the equation, making it easier to solve.

What is the process for solving a separable differential equation?

The process for solving a separable differential equation involves separating the variables, integrating both sides of the equation, and then solving for the constant of integration.

What are some real-world applications of separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay.

What are the advantages of using separable differential equations?

One advantage of using separable differential equations is that they can often be solved analytically, providing a precise solution. Additionally, they can be used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

Are there any limitations to solving separable differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations to solving separable differential equations. Not all differential equations can be separated, and even when they can, the process can be challenging and time-consuming. In some cases, numerical methods may be needed to approximate a solution.