How effective is Proxyrama in masking your true IP address?

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
In summary, Proxyrama is a highly effective tool for masking your true IP address. By routing your internet traffic through a proxy server, it creates a barrier between your device and the websites you visit, making it difficult for anyone to trace your online activities back to your IP address. This provides a layer of privacy and security, particularly for those concerned about their online anonymity. Additionally, Proxyrama offers a variety of proxy options and regularly updates its proxy list, ensuring a high level of anonymity and protection for its users. Overall, Proxyrama is a reliable and efficient solution for masking your true IP address.
phoenixthoth
Is anyone familiar with a program like Proxyrama which enables you to create ip chains thus making your ip address appear different than it is?

I tried it to make myself anonymous and it works on most sites I have found that test my ip. When I turn Proxyrama off, they get my true ip and when I turn it back on, they get a different ip (sometimes from places like Iran!).

However, Proxyrama doesn't seem to work on all sites. I found a site that correctly identifies my ip even with Proxyrama on.

When I checked the help file for Proxyrama, it said the most common problem is something to do with Java and/or Javascript being enabled, leading to a direct transmission or "leak" of the true ip. I have turned my Java and Javascript off but I still have the problem with this one site.

Any way you know of to mask my true ip better? (And that's free?)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can't you just configure your browser to use one of the anonymous/high-anonymity proxies from http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html ?

Seems to work for me :S

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you go here:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Does it read your ip or the proxy's ip?

If it reads the proxy's ip, then I will try your idea.

Yeah it works. Make sure you have 'Use the same proxy for all protocols' option selected.

Your Internet connection has no Reverse DNS

Many Internet connection IP addresses are associated with a DNS machine name. (But yours is not.) The presence of "Reverse DNS", which allows the machine name to be retrieved from the IP address, can represent a privacy and possible security concern for Internet consumers since it may uniquely and persistently identify your Internet account — and therefore you — and may disclose other information, such as your geographic location.

When present, reverse DNS is supported by Internet service providers. But no such lookups are possible with your current Internet connection address (65.39.205.213). That's generally a good thing.

:biggrin:

I've been curious about those public proxy servers -- but never curious enough to use one.

So what do you do? You just pick one off that list that says it's anonymous or high anonymity and configure your browser to use that as an http proxy?

Yeah, but check "Use the same proxy for all protocols" (in firefox).

I'm puzzled by this: you want to use a proxy to protect your privacy. So you direct ALL of your web communication through a server run by someone you don't know, and whose motives you don't know.

How do you know that the proxy server isn't doing exactly what you think you are protecting yourself from -- i.e. intercepting your messages, accumulating info about you, etc.?

Is there some point that I'm missing here?

No different than proxyrama. Besides, what information can they collect about you? Which sites you visit?

I'm not promoting Proxyrama. I'm just questioning the usefulness of proxies in general.

As far as "what information can they collect about you", I suppose the answer to that is: exactly the same information that can be collected by any website you visit. Right? So what purpose is served by the proxy?

I don't mean this as a argument against proxies, either. I just don't understand what they accomplish, and hope that someone who's really knowledgeable about them will explain.

The service I've been using has a pretty strict privacy policy of not collecting anything, which of course doesn't guarantee anything, but in addition parts of the traffic which might reveal e.g. which URLs you visit are encrypted + cookies are blocked by default. Whether it's effective ... :confused:

Thanks for the info. I will try it out.

I thought the only purpose of using a proxy would be to conceal your identity to the website you're visiting, or maybe if you live in some country like err... Iran where they block access to certain sites =/

Or if you want to see how your website handles when you're accessing it outside of your lan.

Shrug.

I have to agree with gnome. Even with this proxy, your information is still out in clear. Do you think the data from your computer magically jumps to the proxy computer. Heck no, it goes through many datacenters, such as your ISP, which logs the stuff anyway. A better option is use VPN which actually encrypts the payload of a packet. You can still track the packet, but the content is safe. Even with VPN though, your relying on someone to safeguard your information.

Also, IP Chains/IP Tables is the firewall built into the Linux kernel and has nothing to do with proxyrama

What is Ip chains?

Ip chains, also known as iptables, is a Linux-based firewall utility that allows for the configuration of network traffic rules. It is used to filter and manipulate incoming and outgoing traffic on a computer or network.

Why is Ip chains important for proxy surfing?

Ip chains is important for proxy surfing because it allows for the masking of a user's IP address. This means that when using a proxy, the requests and traffic will appear to come from the proxy server rather than the user's original IP address, providing anonymity and security.

How does Ip chains work with proxy servers?

Ip chains works with proxy servers by redirecting traffic through the proxy server and altering the source IP address of the requests. This allows for the masking of the user's original IP address and the ability to surf the internet anonymously.

Are there any limitations to using Ip chains for proxy surfing?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Ip chains for proxy surfing. Some websites and services may be able to detect the use of a proxy server and block access. Additionally, using a proxy server can sometimes slow down internet speeds.

Is it legal to use Ip chains for proxy surfing?

Using Ip chains for proxy surfing is generally legal, as long as it is not being used for illegal activities. However, it is important to check the laws and regulations of your country or region to ensure that the use of proxy servers is allowed.