How to remember static IP address

• Thread starter Tusike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of having to constantly re-enter static IP addresses and DNS servers when switching between a home wireless router and a university network. The speaker wonders if there is a way to set up two separate wireless connections, one for static and one for dynamic, like their phone does. A potential solution is suggested using the registry to store and easily switch between the two sets of IP settings.
Tusike
Hi! I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop. At home we have a wireless router, which in order to work, requires me to put in static IP addresses and DNS servers in the network connection's TCP/IP settings. In my university, in order for the internet to work, I have to tell the computer to obtain these automatically. When I do this, the Static IP addresses and DNS servers are forgotten... So every single time I need to take my laptop to the university, when I come home, I need to retype those numbers. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? For example, how can I set up two wireless connections, one being static and the other dynamic?

My phone remembers the static numbers I entered in it so I can easily switch between dynamic and static... Why doesn't the computer do that?

Thanks for any suggestions,
-Tusike

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's possible that the ip settings are stored in the registry. If so, and you can find the registry entry (using regedit), you could export a .reg file. Then you can just "open" or double click the .reg file to restore the registry setting. You could create one .reg file with the static ip, and the other without a static ip.

1. How do I find my current static IP address?

To find your current static IP address, you can open the Command Prompt or Terminal on your computer and type in the command "ipconfig" (for Windows) or "ifconfig" (for Mac or Linux). Your current IP address will be listed under the "IPv4 Address" or "inet" section.

2. How do I set a static IP address?

To set a static IP address, you will need to access your network settings. This can usually be done by going to your network preferences or control panel. Then, find the option to set a static IP address and enter the necessary information, such as the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

3. What is the purpose of a static IP address?

A static IP address is a fixed address that is assigned to a device on a network. It is used to identify and communicate with that specific device, and it remains the same each time the device connects to the network. This is useful for devices that need to be accessed remotely, such as servers, as it allows for consistent and reliable communication.

4. Can I change my static IP address?

Yes, you can change your static IP address. However, it is not recommended to do so unless necessary. If you do need to change your static IP address, you will need to access your network settings and enter the new IP address information.

5. What happens if I use the same static IP address on multiple devices?

If you use the same static IP address on multiple devices, it can cause conflicts and communication issues on the network. Each device on a network should have a unique IP address to ensure proper communication. If you need multiple devices to have the same IP address, it is recommended to use a proxy server or network address translation (NAT) to assign the same address to all devices.