I am asked to find ∫xf(x^2)dx if ∫f(x)dx = 9 ?

• Thread starter LearninDaMath
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of xf(x^2) from -4 to 0, given that the integral of f(x) from 0 to 16 is equal to 9. Using the u substitution method, the integral can be rewritten as 1/2 times the integral of f(u) from 0 to 16, which results in a final answer of -9/2. This problem highlights the importance of matching limits in order to successfully evaluate an integral.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

Find [tex] \int_{-4}^0 xf(x^2) \, dx [/tex] if [tex] \int_0^{16} f(x) \, dt =9[/tex]

[tex] \int_{-4}^0 xf(x^2) \, dx = ?[/tex]

Homework Equations

Are there any? All I know is that [tex] \int_0^{16} f(x) \, dt = F(16) - F(0) = 9[/tex], but does that property come into use for this problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to begin this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Try the u substitution ##u=x^2## in$$
\int_{-4}^0 xf(x^2) \, dx$$Don't forget to take the limits through the substitution too.

letting [itex]u = x^{2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{du}{2}=xdx[/itex]

[tex] \int_{-4}^0 xf(x^2) \, dx [/tex] => [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_{-4}^0 f(u) \, du[/tex][tex] - \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{16}f(u) \, dx = - \frac{9}{2}[/tex]Wow, for the problem to work out the way it did is mindblowingly coincidental. For the first integral's upper and lower limits to match the second integral's limits, the relationship between the the u substitute and the upper and lower limits had to be deliberately structured. So if I wanted the final result to be 9 instead of -9/2, the evaluated integral would have to become:

[tex] \int_0^4 2xf(x^2) \, dx[/tex] = [tex] \int_0^{16} f(u) \, du = 9[/tex]

So there is really not evaluating occurring, just getting the first integral to match the second integral. So if I'm not mistaken, if the limit values in the first integral could not be made to perfectly match the second integral then finding a value for this problem would be rendered impossible. And on the same note, if the function in the first integral was such that after substitution yielded a differing function, say ∫(u^2)f(u)du, then the problem would also be rendered impossible.

Thanks for the boost on this problem LCKurtz. Are my conclusions about this problem on track here?

Yes, you have it. The problem was cooked up to work just right and give you practice with the u substitution. Remember whenever you express an integral with du you must also use the u limits.

1. What is the general process for solving integrals involving x^2?

The general process for solving integrals involving x^2 is to use the power rule for integration, which states that ∫x^n dx = (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is a constant. In this case, n = 2, so the integral becomes ∫x^2 dx = (x^3)/3 + C.

2. How do I apply the given information of ∫f(x)dx = 9 to solve for ∫xf(x^2)dx?

To solve for ∫xf(x^2)dx, you can use the substitution method. Let u = x^2, then du = 2x dx. Substituting these values into the integral, we get ∫xf(x^2)dx = (1/2)∫f(u)du. Since we are given that ∫f(x)dx = 9, this becomes (1/2)∫f(u)du = (1/2)(9) = 4.5.

3. Can I use any other methods besides substitution to solve for ∫xf(x^2)dx?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve for ∫xf(x^2)dx, such as integration by parts or u-substitution. However, substitution is often the simplest and most straightforward method for solving this type of integral.

4. Is it necessary to include the constant of integration when solving for ∫xf(x^2)dx?

Yes, the constant of integration (C) must always be included when solving integrals. This is because the derivative of any constant is always 0, so the constant cannot be determined from the given information and must be included to represent all possible solutions.

5. Is there a specific range of values for x that I should consider when solving for ∫xf(x^2)dx?

Yes, when solving integrals involving x^2, it is important to consider the domain of the function f(x). Since x^2 is an even function, the integral will only be non-zero for positive values of x. Therefore, the range of values for x to consider will be determined by the domain of f(x).