Integrating Ln x: Does the Answer Always Equal 1/x?

In summary: However, when integrating ln(ax), it requires using the integration by parts method and may result in a more complex answer than just 1/x. It is important to remember that the derivative and integral of a function are not always the same. So, while the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, its integral is not always 1/x. It is also helpful to remember the algebraic rule that ln(ax) is equal to ln(a) + ln(x). So, when integrating ln(ax), it may be easier to break it down into simpler parts.
Steel_City82
When you intergrate a Ln ax problem does is the answer always 1/x

for example integrate ln 2x
does it equal 1/x or ln 3x and so on

For some reason when i work it out on paper or my calculator it comes out to 1/x and I just don't think its right. I think I am just being catious since the problems I am doing will determine my grade for this semester.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that by definition,
[tex]\ln x = \int_1^x \frac{1}{t} dt[/tex]
While the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, its integral certainly is not. you can find its integral by parts (product rule). If you want the derivative of ln(f(x)) for some function f, use the chain rule.
This will tell you that the derivative of ln(ax) for any non-zero constant a is indeed 1/x. What are your reasons for thinking this derivative to be incorrrect ?
This should just remind you that ln(ax) = ln(a) + ln(x), a simple algebraic rule of all logarithms.

Last edited:
Well when you differentiate ln x will it always be 1/x even if its ln 2x or ln 3x.

the problem is an integration by parts and i set my u as ln 3x and my dv as 2x^4

when i try to find the answer for the du i get 1/x with my calc and also when i do it on paper. I just want to make sure that it correct.

Steel_City82 said:
Well when you differentiate ln x will it always be 1/x even if its ln 2x or ln 3x.
the problem is an integration by parts and i set my u as ln 3x and my dv as 2x^4
when i try to find the answer for the du i get 1/x...
There's no problem there. :smile: Just keep going by parts until you get something you can work with.

thanks for your help

If you want to integrate ln(x), make u=ln(x) and dv=1. The answer is quite simple from there.

For any function in the form of aln(ax), the derivative will always be 1/x.

1. What is the basic concept of integration?

The concept of integration is the process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the original function. Integration is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. What is the general formula for integrating a natural logarithm function?

The general formula for integrating a natural logarithm function is ∫ln(x)dx = xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula can be derived using integration by parts.

3. Can the integral of ln x be solved using substitution?

Yes, the integral of ln x can be solved using substitution. By substituting u = ln(x) and du = 1/x dx, the integral ∫ln(x)dx can be transformed into ∫u du, which can be easily evaluated.

4. Is there a special rule for integrating the natural logarithm function?

Yes, there is a special rule for integrating the natural logarithm function, known as the logarithmic rule. It states that ∫ln(f(x)) dx = xln(f(x)) - ∫f'(x)/f(x) dx. This rule is useful for integrating more complex functions involving the natural logarithm.

5. Can the integral of ln x be evaluated using definite integration?

Yes, the integral of ln x can be evaluated using definite integration. By substituting the limits of integration into the general formula ∫ln(x)dx = xln(x) - x + C, the definite integral can be solved to find the exact value. However, if the limits of integration result in an undefined value, then the integral does not exist.