Calculating Induced EMF in a Conducting Loop with Changing Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a bonus question involving a conducting loop with a half circle and 3 straight sections in a uniform magnetic field. The magnitude of the field is given by B(t) = 4.0t^2 + 2.0t + 3.0 and an ideal battery with EMF E=2.0V is connected to the loop. The task is to find the magnitude and direction of the EMF induced in the loop, as well as the current in the loop at t = 10 seconds. The solution involves using the equation for induced EMF, -dflux/dt, and adding it to the battery EMF to calculate the EMF in the loop as a function of time.
Moore65
Here is a bonus question that I was given yesterday. I am completely at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions?

A conducting loop with a half circle of radius r=0.20m and 3 straight sections. The half circle lies in a uniform field B that is directed out of the page. The magnitude of B as a function of time is given by B(t) = 4.0t^2 + 2.0t + 3.0 where B is in Teslas and t is in seconds. An ideal battery with EMF E=2.0V is connected to the loop. The loop has a resistance of 2.0 Ohms.
a) Find the magnitude and direction of the EMF induced in the loop.

b) What is the current in the loop at t = 10 seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moore65 said:
Here is a bonus question that I was given yesterday. I am completely at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions?

A conducting loop with a half circle of radius r=0.20m and 3 straight sections. The half circle lies in a uniform field B that is directed out of the page. The magnitude of B as a function of time is given by B(t) = 4.0t^2 + 2.0t + 3.0 where B is in Teslas and t is in seconds. An ideal battery with EMF E=2.0V is connected to the loop. The loop has a resistance of 2.0 Ohms.
a) Find the magnitude and direction of the EMF induced in the loop.

b) What is the current in the loop at t = 10 seconds?

just use the equation for induced emf: -dflux/dt.
flux = B(t)*area of half circle
add this emf as a function of time to the battery emf of 2.0V. I think you add, at least. they tell you the B field is directed out of the page, but they don't tell you which way the battery is connected... anyway, add 2 + (-dflux/dt) and this is your emf in the loop as a function of time. then use v = ir to calculate i(t).

Last edited:
But how do I find the direction of the EMF?

1. What is induced EMF in a loop?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) in a loop refers to the generation of an electric potential in a closed loop due to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is described by Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction.

2. How is induced EMF in a loop produced?

Induced EMF in a loop is produced when a magnetic field passing through the loop changes in strength or direction. This change in the magnetic field induces a current in the loop, resulting in an electric potential.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF in a loop?

The magnitude of induced EMF in a loop is affected by the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the loop, and the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, the material and size of the loop can also impact the induced EMF.

4. What is the difference between induced EMF in a loop and self-inductance?

Induced EMF in a loop refers to the generation of an electric potential due to a changing magnetic field, while self-inductance refers to the ability of a circuit to produce an opposing voltage due to changes in its own current. Induced EMF in a loop is an example of self-inductance, but self-inductance can also occur in circuits without loops.

5. How is induced EMF in a loop used in practical applications?

Induced EMF in a loop has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies like wireless charging and electromagnetic induction heating.