Find Amp of Circuit with Ohm's Law

In summary: Once you have the resistance, you can use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage and current:In summary, to calculate the amp rating of a circuit, use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage and current, and then divide by the resistance.
Pin Head
Hi,
I'm trying to find the amp of a circuit. Okay I know a circuit has a resistivity, So for example if my circuit is made out of cooper which has a resistivity of 1.68 * 10 negative power of 8 and a voltage of 9 volts.So do I just use ohms law Volt / Resistant = Amp?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, use Ohm's Law. Current equals Voltage divided by resistance. For a great explanation and built-in calculator, see:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmlaw.html

By the way, it's important to get your terminology and units correct

Current (I): units of Amperes
Voltage (E): units of Volts
Resistance (R): units of Ohms

Pin Head said:
Hi,
I'm trying to find the amp of a circuit. Okay I know a circuit has a resistivity, So for example if my circuit is made out of cooper which has a resistivity of 1.68 * 10 negative power of 8 and a voltage of 9 volts.So do I just use ohms law Volt / Resistant = Amp?

Be sure to carry units along in your calculations -- it's important to have the units of the resistivity in order to get the correct answer for the resistance.

In this case, you would need to be sure to include the source resistance of your "9V" source. When you put a heavy load on a voltage source, its internal resistance needs to be part of your calculation (using Ohm's Law, yes).

Pin Head said:
Hi,

But first you will need to convert from resistivity to resistance.

For this, you need the formula:
140b5b8782cd1e72fa3785af25e1b394.png

Where
R = resistance of the metal sample.
ρ is the resistivity (in ohm -meters).
L is the length of the sample in the direction of current flow (in meters).
A is the cross sectional area of the sample (in square meters).

Last edited:

Hi there,

Yes, you are correct. Ohm's Law states that the current (in amps) flowing through a circuit is equal to the voltage (in volts) divided by the resistance (in ohms). So in your example, the current would be 9 volts divided by 1.68 * 10^-8 ohms, which equals 5.36 * 10^8 amps. Keep in mind that this is a very large amount of current and may not be realistic for a typical circuit. It's important to also consider other factors, such as the size and capacity of the circuit components, to ensure safe and efficient operation. Hope this helps!

FAQ: Find Amp of Circuit with Ohm's Law

1. What is Ohm's Law and how does it relate to finding the amp of a circuit?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electricity that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This means that by knowing the voltage and resistance of a circuit, we can use Ohm's Law to calculate the current, or amp, flowing through it.

2. What are the units of measurement for voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amps (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

3. How do I use Ohm's Law to find the amp of a circuit?

To use Ohm's Law to find the amp of a circuit, you will need to know the voltage (V) and resistance (Ω) of the circuit. The formula for Ohm's Law is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps. Simply plug in the values for voltage and resistance into the formula and solve for I to find the amp of the circuit.

4. Can Ohm's Law be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used for both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, for AC circuits, the values for voltage and resistance may be constantly changing, so it is important to use the values at a specific moment in time to accurately calculate the current. In DC circuits, the values for voltage and resistance are usually constant, making it easier to use Ohm's Law to find the amp of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a useful tool for calculating the current in a circuit, but there are some limitations to its use. It assumes that the conductor has a constant resistance, and it does not take into account factors such as temperature or non-ohmic materials. Additionally, Ohm's Law is only applicable to linear circuits, where the current is directly proportional to the voltage. Non-linear circuits may require more complex calculations to determine the current.

Back