Small Confusion with Partial Derivative

In summary, we are dealing with a composite function u(x,y) where u = f(x^3 + y^2) + g(x^3 + y^2), and we are trying to show that 2y\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - 3x^{2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = 0. To find the partial derivatives, we use the chain rule and set p = x^3 + y^2. This results in \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{du}{dp} \frac{\partial p}{\partial x}. The two d's and p's cancel out, allowing us to find the desired partial derivatives
jegues

Homework Statement

Let [tex]u(x,y) = f(x^3 + y^2) +g(x^3 + y^2)[/tex] such that f and g are differentiable functions. Show that,

[tex]2y\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - 3x^{2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The part of confused about is how to break down my partial derivatives.

The first thing I'm going to do is,

[tex]\text{Let } p=x^3 + y^2[/tex]

then,

[tex]u = f(p) + g(p)[/tex]

Now how to I extract,

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x},\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

from here?

Is it simply,

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{du}{dp} \frac{\partial p}{\partial x}[/tex]

The part that bothers me is that the du on the top is not a [tex] \partial[/tex].

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:

Homework Statement

Let [tex]u(x,y) = f(x^3 + y^2) +g(x^3 + y^2)[/tex] such that f and g are differentiable functions. Show that,

[tex]2y\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - 3x^{2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = 0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The part of confused about is how to break down my partial derivatives.

The first thing I'm going to do is,

[tex]\text{Let } p=x^3 + y^2[/tex]

then,

[tex]u = f(p) + g(p)[/tex]

Now how to I extract,

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x},\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

from here?

Is it simply,

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{du}{dp} \frac{\partial p}{\partial x}[/tex]

The part that bothers me is that the du on the top is not a [tex] \partial[/tex].

Is this correct?

I do believe it is. You're actually dealing with a composite function, which is why that du isn't partial.

Char. Limit said:
I do believe it is. You're actually dealing with a composite function, which is why that du isn't partial.

I think I'm confused because it says show that,

and in here I see,

Do the two d's cancel out and the two p's cancel out?

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative only considers the change in one variable, while a regular derivative considers the change in all variables. Additionally, a partial derivative is denoted with the symbol ∂ while a regular derivative is denoted with the symbol ∇.

3. When would you use a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is commonly used in multivariable calculus to solve optimization problems, to find critical points of a function, and to calculate the slope of tangent lines in three-dimensional space.

4. Can a partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative can be negative, positive, or zero. It depends on the function and the variables involved.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives can only be used for functions with continuous and differentiable partial derivatives. They also cannot be used for functions with discontinuities or sharp turns.