Angular Magnification of Microscope

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding microscopes and the calculation of angular magnification. The problem involves an objective lens with a power of +100D and an eyepiece with a power of +50D, separated by 18cm. The person has calculated the object distance to be -1.07cm but is stuck on finding the angular magnification. They have attempted to work backwards using the Gauss Law and have asked for help with the working out.
LeeLoo
Homework Statement

Hey, I'm having trouble with this question on microscopes.

A microscope is made up of an objective of power +100D and an eyepiece of power +50D, the two lenses being separated by 18cm. How far in front of the objective must an object be placed if the image of the object formed by the microscope is viewed by an emmetrope exercising 4D of accommodation? Assume the observer's eye is close to the eyepiece. What will be the angular magnification in this case?

I worked out the object distance to be -1.07cm but I can't figure out how to get the angular magnification (the answer is 204.6x).

Relevant equations

Gauss Law

The attempt at a solution

I drew a diagram with the two lenses and labelled the distance between them (18mm). Then I worked backwards by treating the final image distance as 1/-8 as the person has to accommodate by 8D and from there I found the object distance for lens 2 which is the image distance for lens 1. Then I found the initial object distance. So now I'm stuck on the angular magnification. Can someone please show me the working out?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what role the 4D accomodation plays, but couldn't you take a slightly off-axis ray passing through the center of the 100D lens, and calculate at what angle it exits the 50D lens?

Dear student,

To calculate the angular magnification of a microscope, we can use the formula:

M = -fe/fo

Where M is the angular magnification, fe is the effective focal length of the eyepiece, and fo is the focal length of the objective.

In this case, the effective focal length of the eyepiece (fe) can be calculated using the formula:

fe = 1/(d - fo)

Where d is the distance between the two lenses (18cm) and fo is the focal length of the objective (+100D = +1/100m = 0.01m).

Substituting these values, we get:

fe = 1/(18cm - 0.01m) = 0.055m

Now, we can calculate the angular magnification using the first formula:

M = -fe/fo = -0.055m/0.01m = -5.5

However, this is the angular magnification for a distant object. To calculate the angular magnification for an object placed at a specific distance, we need to use the formula:

M = -fe/fo * (1 + do/fo)

Where do is the distance of the object from the objective. In this case, do = -1.07cm = -0.0107m.

Substituting this value, we get:

M = -0.055m/0.01m * (1 + (-0.0107m)/0.01m) = -5.5 * 0.9893 = -5.443

Finally, to find the angular magnification in terms of x, we can use the formula:

M = tan(x)

Where x is the angular magnification in radians. So, we have:

tan(x) = -5.443

x = tan^-1(-5.443) = -81.05°

Therefore, the angular magnification in this case is 81.05x or 204.6x, as stated in the question.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is angular magnification in a microscope?

Angular magnification is a measure of how much larger an object appears when viewed through a microscope compared to the naked eye. It is determined by the ratio of the angle at which the object is viewed through the microscope to the angle at which it is viewed with the naked eye.

2. How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated by dividing the angle at which the object is viewed through the microscope (in radians) by the angle at which it is viewed with the naked eye (also in radians). The result is the angular magnification.

3. What factors affect the angular magnification of a microscope?

The angular magnification of a microscope is affected by the magnifying power of the objective lens, the magnifying power of the eyepiece, and the distance between the two lenses. It can also be affected by the position and focus of the specimen on the stage.

4. How does angular magnification relate to the total magnification of a microscope?

Angular magnification is only one component of the total magnification of a microscope. It is multiplied by the magnifying power of the objective lens to determine the total magnification. For example, if the angular magnification is 10x and the objective lens has a magnifying power of 40x, the total magnification would be 400x.

5. Can the angular magnification of a microscope be changed?

Yes, the angular magnification of a microscope can be changed by adjusting the magnifying power of the objective lens or the eyepiece. It can also be changed by adjusting the distance between the two lenses. However, the angular magnification is limited by the physical properties of the lenses and cannot be increased infinitely.