Basic exercise for finding a Lagrangian from the Landau's Mechanics

If you can't get it to go away, I'd say their answer is correct and yours isn't.In summary, the conversation discusses finding a Lagrangian for a simple pendulum in a gravitational field using Landau's "Mechanics." The conversation includes the homework statement, equations, and the attempted solution. The difference between the given answer and the solution is attributed to the idea of total derivative, which is used to differentiate variables that are not held constant. Ultimately, further analysis is needed to determine if the given answer is correct or if there are any mistakes in the solution.
Lurco
Basic exercise for finding a Lagrangian from the Landau's "Mechanics"

Hello everyone!

Homework Statement

I've just started preparing for the classical mechanics course using only Landau & Lifgarbagez, so I'm doing everything according to their formulation.

And so I solved an exercise from the first chapter, but I'm not sure if I made that one correct (the answer is different, but a Lagrangian is ambiguous, isn't it?). The statement is:

Find the Lagrange function of a simple pendulum of length [itex] l [/itex], mass [itex] m [/itex], which pivot rotates along a circle of radius [itex] a [/itex] with a constant frequency [itex] f [/itex] in a homogeneous gravitational field with acceleration [itex] g [/itex].

Homework Equations

Formula for a Lagrangian of an isolated, one-particle system in 2 dimensions:
[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)+\textbf{F}\cdot \textbf{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first formulated a more general case:
- the pivot moves around a circle satisfying [itex] \alpha(t) [/itex], ([itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angle between the pivot's radius vector and the y-axis),
- the angle between the pendulum and y-axis is [itex]\phi(t)[/itex],
- I've chosen the [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] for the generalized coordinates of this system.

- the Cartesian coordinates of the mass are:
[tex]x=l \sin{\phi}+a \sin{\alpha}[/tex]
[tex]y=l \cos{\phi}+a \cos{\alpha}[/tex]

- the velocities:
[tex]\dot{x}=l \dot{\phi} \cos{\phi}+a \dot\alpha} \cos{\alpha}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}=-l \dot\phi} \sin{\phi}-a \dot\alpha} \sin{\alpha}[/tex]

U=[itex]-\textbf{F}\cdot \textbf{r}=-mgy=-mg(l \cos{\phi}+a \cos{\alpha})[/itex]

[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)=\frac{1}{2}m(l^2 \dot{\phi}^2 \textrm{cos}^2 \phi+a^2 \dot{\alpha}^2 \textrm{cos}^2\alpha+2 l a \dot{\phi} \dot{\alpha} \cos{\alpha}
\cos{\phi}+l^2 \dot{\phi}^2 \textrm{sin}^2 \phi+a^2 \dot{\alpha}^2
\textrm{sin}^2 \alpha+2 l a \dot{\phi} \dot{\alpha} \sin{\alpha} \sin{\phi}) [/tex]

[tex]L=T-U=m \left(\frac{1}{2}(l^2 \dot{\phi}^2+a^2 \dot{\alpha}^2)+l a \dot{\phi} \dot{\alpha} \cos{(\alpha-\phi)}+g(l \cos{\phi}+a \cos{\alpha}) \right)[/tex]

-And now I substitute [itex]\alpha=\alpha(t)=f t[/itex], and my final solution is:
[tex]L=m \left(\frac{1}{2}(l^2 \dot{\phi}^2+a^2 f^2)+l a \dot{\phi} f \cos{(f t-\phi)}+g(l \cos{\phi}+a \cos{f t}) \right)[/tex]

The answer in Landau & Lifgarbagez is:
[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}m l^2 \dot{\phi}^2+m l a f^2 \sin{(\phi-f t)}+m g l \cos{\phi}[/tex]

So is my solution correct and if not, what mistakes am I making? I will be grateful for every answer. I will just add that I don't fully understand the idea of the "total derivative" which, as I suspect is crucial for comparing this two solutions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

A total derivative is where you differentiate everything as opposed to holding some variables constant. For example, say you have a function F(x,t) = x sin t, where x is a function of t. When you take the partial derivative, you hold x constant and get

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} = x \cos t[/tex]

With the total derivative, you allow for x to vary with t, so you'd get

[tex]\frac{dF}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial t} = (\sin t)x'(t) + x \cos t[/tex]

So your Lagrangian has two extra terms that you can express as a total derivative with respect to time, namely

[tex]\frac{1}{2} ma^2f^2 + ag\cos ft = \frac{d}{dt} \left(\frac{1}{2} ma^2f^2t + \frac{ag}{f}\sin ft\right)[/tex]

so you can toss those terms. After doing that, I can almost transform their Lagrangian into yours by considering

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} [f \cos (\phi-ft)][/tex]

You can get the two Lagrangians to look almost exactly like each other. You just need to figure out if the remaining difference really matters or if you can somehow get it to go away.

1. What is the purpose of finding a Lagrangian in Landau's Mechanics?

The purpose of finding a Lagrangian in Landau's Mechanics is to obtain a mathematical description of a physical system that can be used to predict the motion of the system. This is achieved by using the Lagrangian, which is a function that summarizes the dynamics of the system in terms of the system's coordinates and their time derivatives.

2. How do you determine the Lagrangian for a physical system?

The Lagrangian for a physical system can be determined by using the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action integral. The action integral is a mathematical expression that is based on the Lagrangian and the system's coordinates and time derivatives.

3. Can the Lagrangian be derived from the system's equations of motion?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be derived from the system's equations of motion using the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations describe the relationship between the Lagrangian and the system's dynamics and can be solved to obtain the Lagrangian for a given system.

4. Are there any advantages to using the Lagrangian approach in Landau's Mechanics?

Yes, there are several advantages to using the Lagrangian approach in Landau's Mechanics. It allows for a more elegant and concise mathematical description of the system, it is independent of the choice of coordinates, and it provides a more intuitive understanding of the system's dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian approach in Landau's Mechanics?

One limitation of using the Lagrangian approach in Landau's Mechanics is that it may not be applicable to all physical systems. Some systems may require the use of other mathematical methods, such as Hamiltonian mechanics, to accurately describe their dynamics. Additionally, the Lagrangian approach may be more complex and time-consuming for certain systems, making it less practical in some cases.