Multiple input, multiple output circuit with only a signal getting through

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with multiple inputs and outputs, and the requirement that only one output will be set to high at a time when at least one input is high. The participants suggest using flip-flops or logic gates, and offer suggestions for simplifying the problem and generating reset signals. The final suggestion is to clarify the question if necessary.
marianweb
Hello

Can someone help me with this? I've been struggling with it for some time and haven't found a solution yet.
Let's say we have the circuit in the attachment. There is a number of inputs (4 in our case) and an equal number of outputs.

The problem is: if at least one input is HIGH, then one and only one output will be HIGH. And that one will correspond to the last activated input.
Fore example: let's say that only A(in) is 1. Then only A(out) will be 1. After some time, B(in) is also 1. Then B(out) will be 1, A(out) changing back to 0. If after some time D(in) is 1, then D(out) will be 1 and the other outputs will be 0. And so on...

Can someone tell me how this might be done? Have you encountered something similar until now?

Attachments

• question2.gif
    question2.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
well, when one input goes high, its output is set, whilst the other outputs are reset. what do you think might do that?

Proton Soup said:
well, when one input goes high, its output is set, whilst the other outputs are reset. what do you think might do that?

:) well, it sounds familiar... But taking in consideration that fact that digital electronics is not my strong point, I really don't know.

marianweb said:
:) well, it sounds familiar... But taking in consideration that fact that digital electronics is not my strong point, I really don't know.

not mine, either. but i think i would start by trying to simplify the problem. like finding a solution for just one output, first. or maybe even limiting inputs to 2, initially. then go from there. if it's not a learning exercise, i think you can buy chips that do this function. and, flip-flops may not even be the preferred way to do this. you should be able to do it with straight logic gates, too. time to dig out those karnaugh maps.

2uf528l.gif

You can solve this problem las it was said with simple flip-flop and RC circuit.
The reset signal can be generated from the input and it should be shorter in time than the input signal.
Let say A is triggered (High) when a new signal comes it should reset all the output so A will go to zero but since the coming signal is longer than the reset (that had been generated from the coming signal with RC) it will initialize the appropriate output.
I hope this will help you.
If not you have to clarify your question.

1. What is a multiple input, multiple output circuit?

A multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) circuit is a type of electronic circuit that has multiple inputs and multiple outputs. It is commonly used in communication systems to improve the performance and reliability of data transmission.

2. How does a MIMO circuit work?

A MIMO circuit works by using multiple antennas and sophisticated signal processing techniques to transmit and receive multiple data streams simultaneously. This allows for increased data transfer rates, improved coverage, and reduced interference.

3. Can a MIMO circuit function with only one signal getting through?

Yes, a MIMO circuit can still function with only one signal getting through. However, it may not be able to achieve its full potential in terms of data transfer rates and reliability, as its design is optimized for multiple signals.

4. What are the advantages of using a MIMO circuit?

Some advantages of using a MIMO circuit include increased data transfer rates, improved coverage and range, and reduced interference. It also allows for better utilization of the available bandwidth and can support multiple devices simultaneously.

5. Are there any limitations of using a MIMO circuit?

One limitation of using a MIMO circuit is that it requires more complex and expensive hardware and signal processing algorithms. It also relies on the availability of multiple antennas, which may not be feasible in certain applications. Additionally, the performance of a MIMO circuit can be affected by external factors such as weather conditions and physical obstructions.