Proving <J,2;J,0|J,J>=<J,2;-J,0|J,-J>

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
J,2;J,0|J,-J>=<J,2;-J,0|J,J>In summary, the conversation is about proving the equality <J,2;J,0|J,J>=<J,2;-J,0|J,-J>, with the template <j_1,j_2;m_1,m_2|JM>. The person asking the question has found this equality to be true through experimentation and their classmate has confirmed this with their teaching assistant. They discuss the possibility of another equality, but do not see a way to prove it immediately.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi,

How can I prove that

[tex]<J,2;J,0|J,J>=<J,2;-J,0|J,-J>[/tex]

?

(my "template" is [tex]<j_1,j_2;m_1,m_2|JM>[/tex])thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get it from ? I don't think it's correct...

It's correct "experimentally" in the sense that I'Ve looked in a C-G table and it's always true.

And according to a classmate of mine, he went to see the teaching assistant and he told him it was correct.

quasar987 said:
Hi,

How can I prove that

[tex]<J,2;J,0|J,J>=<J,2;-J,0|J,-J>[/tex]

?

(my "template" is [tex]<j_1,j_2;m_1,m_2|JM>[/tex])

thx

You mean what you wrote, and not
[tex]<J,2;J,0|J,-J>=<J,2;-J,0|J,J>[/tex], right?
(at first I thought you had written what I just wrote and I saw a way to prove it easily but I don't see right away how to prove the wone you gave)

i mean what i wrote

1. What does the notation "J,2;J,0|J,J>" mean?

The notation "J,2;J,0|J,J>" refers to a specific quantum mechanical state, where J represents the total angular momentum, the first 2 represents the value of the z-component of angular momentum, the second J represents the total spin, and the final J> represents the z-component of spin. This notation is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the properties of particles.

2. Why is it important to prove the equation =?

Proving this equation is important in order to demonstrate the symmetry of the quantum mechanical state. This equation represents the equivalence of two states that have the same total angular momentum and spin, but with opposite z-component values. This symmetry has important implications in the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level.

3. How is this equation proven?

This equation can be proven using mathematical techniques from quantum mechanics, such as the commutation relations of angular momentum and spin operators. By manipulating and simplifying the equations, it can be shown that the two states are indeed equivalent.

4. What are the implications of this equation in quantum mechanics?

This equation has important implications in the understanding and prediction of particle behavior. It allows for the prediction of the properties and interactions of particles with specific quantum states, and also helps in the development of quantum technologies.

5. Can this equation be applied to all quantum mechanical states?

No, this equation specifically applies to the states with the specific properties of total angular momentum and spin described in the notation. Other quantum states may have different properties and require different equations for proving their equivalence. However, this equation does demonstrate a general principle of symmetry in quantum mechanics that can be applied to other states as well.