Lucas Numbers and Generating Functions

In summary, the problem is to use generating functions to find an explicit formula for the Lucas function, defined by the famous sequence of Lucas numbers. The attempted solution involves using two sums, one for the Fibonacci numbers and one for the Lucas numbers, and then setting L_n = a^n and solving for a. The generating function will be a linear combination of the two solutions, and the initial conditions can be used to determine the two arbitrary constants. The final answer is L_n = F_{n+1} + F_{n-1}, where the Lucas numbers are generated from the Fibonacci numbers.
Johnny Numbers
Here is my problem and my attempt at the answer. Any help or advice is highly appreciated.
Problem
With the famous sequence of Lucas numbers 1, 3, 4, 7, 11, 18... (Where each number is the sum of the last two and the first two are defined as 1 and 3.) use generating functions to find an explicit formula for the Lucas function.
Attempted Solution
We have
[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{n}F_jx^j[/tex]
where Fj denotes the jth Fibonacci number and n is going to infinity. Then we add that to
[tex]\sum_{j=-1}^{n}F_jx^j^+^2[/tex]
Where F-1 = -1 and F0 = 0

And that should get us a function of Lucas numbers right?:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Lucas numbers satisfy the relation

[tex]L_{n+1} = L_n + L_{n-1}[/tex]

Just set [itex]L_n = a^n[/itex] and solve for a. Your generating function will be a linear combination of the two solutions. Apply your initial conditions ( [itex]L_1[/itex] and [itex]L_2[/itex]) to determine the two arbitrary constants and you're done! :)

I should've been more specific, but we have to use the Fibonacci numbers to generate the Lucas numbers in this manner.

EDIT: I changed it up a little bit as well.

Last edited:
In that case, it should be apparent that [itex]L_n = F_{n+1} + F_{n-1}[/itex]

Ok so I believe that matches what I was intending on getting at. Thank you again.

What are Lucas Numbers?

Lucas Numbers are a sequence of numbers that follow a specific pattern, similar to the famous Fibonacci sequence. They are named after the French mathematician Édouard Lucas.

What is the formula for generating Lucas Numbers?

The formula for generating Lucas Numbers is Ln = Ln-1 + Ln-2, where n is the nth term in the sequence. In other words, each number in the sequence is the sum of the two previous numbers.

How are Lucas Numbers and Fibonacci Numbers related?

Lucas Numbers and Fibonacci Numbers are closely related, as they both follow a similar pattern. In fact, the first two terms in the Lucas sequence (2 and 1) are the same as the first two terms in the Fibonacci sequence. Additionally, as the terms in both sequences get larger, the ratio between consecutive terms approaches the golden ratio of 1.618.

What is a generating function for Lucas Numbers?

A generating function for Lucas Numbers is a mathematical expression that can be used to find the coefficients of a power series that represents the sequence. In the case of Lucas Numbers, the generating function is (1-x)/(1-x-x^2).

How are generating functions useful in studying Lucas Numbers?

Generating functions are useful in studying Lucas Numbers because they allow us to find closed-form expressions for the terms in the sequence. They can also be used to prove properties and relationships of the sequence, and to find patterns within the sequence that may not be immediately obvious. Additionally, generating functions can be used to efficiently calculate large terms in the sequence without having to manually calculate each term.