TI-89 Exact/Approx Answers: How to Get Approximate Results with "AUTO" Mode

• Calculators
  • Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89
In summary, to get approximate answers with the Exact/Approx set to "AUTO" in the mode menu, simply put a decimal in one of the numbers before pressing ENTER to solve. If you forget, or if you want to convert an exact number answer to a decimal, just multiply it by 1. Both methods will work.
cscott
With the Exact/Approx set to "AUTO" in the mode menu, how can I get approximate answers without going and switching it to approx then recalculating?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Before you press ENTER to solve, press the Diamond button.

Woot! Thanks!

cscott said:
With the Exact/Approx set to "AUTO" in the mode menu, how can I get approximate answers without going and switching it to approx then recalculating?

Put a decimal in one of the numbers, i.e., instead of entering 4 / 3, enter 4. / 3. If you forget, or if you an exact number answer that you want converted to a decimal, just x (times) 1.

Try both to see how they work!

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
Put a decimal in one of the numbers, i.e., instead of entering 4 / 3, enter 4. / 3. If you forget, or if you an exact number answer that you want converted to a decimal, just x (times) 1.

Try both to see how they work!

Regards,
George

Cool. Thanks for the alternatives.

1. What is the difference between an exact and an approximate answer on TI-89?

An exact answer on TI-89 is a solution that is represented as a simplified mathematical expression, while an approximate answer is a decimal or numerical value that is rounded to a specific number of decimal places.

2. How do I switch between exact and approximate answers on TI-89?

To switch between exact and approximate answers on TI-89, you can press the "Exact" or "Approx" button on the calculator, or use the shortcut keys "Ctrl+Enter" for exact answers and "Ctrl+0" for approximate answers.

3. Can I change the number of decimal places for approximate answers on TI-89?

Yes, you can change the number of decimal places for approximate answers on TI-89 by going to the "Mode" menu and selecting "Exact/Approx" options. From there, you can choose the desired number of decimal places.

4. How do I know if the answer on TI-89 is exact or approximate?

The answer on TI-89 will be displayed as an exact answer if it is a simplified mathematical expression, and it will be displayed as an approximate answer if it is a decimal or numerical value.

5. Can I use both exact and approximate answers in the same calculation on TI-89?

Yes, you can use both exact and approximate answers in the same calculation on TI-89. Simply use the "Exact" or "Approx" buttons to switch between the two types of answers as needed.