Mass of a planet given it's satellites orbital radius & period

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the mass of a planet that a satellite orbits in 2.5 hours with a radius of 2.6 x 10^5 m. The attempted solution involves finding the velocity and using it to find the mass using the equation v=sqrt(GM/r). However, the final result does not match the answer key, indicating a possible error in the calculations. Another user provides a more detailed explanation for finding the mass using the equation v=sqrt(GMp/r^2) and suggests following their steps for the correct answer. The original poster wonders if they made a mistake in their calculations despite checking multiple times.
bbhh
Ah, please, someone help me. I've been working on this problem for half an hour, it's the last question on my review before my test, which i want to write right now (correspondence).

Homework Statement

If a satellite requires 2.5 h to orbit a planet with an orbital radius of 2.6 x 10^5 m, what is the mass of the planet?

Homework Equations

ac = v^2/r = 4 pi^2 r / T^2

v = sqrt(GM / r)

(... at least that's what i think?)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I attempted to find the velocity from the radius (2.6*10^5) and the time (2.5hr*60*60=9000s)

v^2/r = 4 pi^2 r / T^2
v^2 = 4 pi^2 r^2 / T^2

v^2 = 4 * 3.14^2 * 2.6*10^5 / 9000^2
v=.356m/s

2. I used v= sqrt(GM/r) to find the mass.

.356= sqrt(6.67*10^-11m/2.6*10^5)
.127=6.67*10^-11m/2.6*10^5
330200=6.67*10^-11m
m= 5*10^15kg

the answer key says it's 1.3*10^20kg

Last edited:
Likes bew eistein
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer key is correct, I am unsure about what mistake was made in the attempted solution...maybe a calculator entering issue...
v^2/r==GmP/r^2
4pi^2/T^2==GmP/r^3
4pi^2r^3/T^2*G==Mp
Mp==1.284x10^20 kg.

Last edited:
i appreciate your help but i think i need a bit more in depth of an explanation.

"v is actually the square root of GMp/r"... isn't that what i did?... see... a little lost.

bbhh said:
i appreciate your help but i think i need a bit more in depth of an explanation.

"v is actually the square root of GMp/r"... isn't that what i did?... see... a little lost.

Yes, when I reread your post, that is what you did...I don't know why you didn't get the right answer...However, if you follow the steps I showed in my previous post, you will get the correct answer.

hmm thanks. i wonder if i just screwed up my maths somewhere along the way. i checked it so many times though... weird

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a planet using its satellite's orbital radius and period?

The formula for calculating the mass of a planet using its satellite's orbital radius and period is: M = 4π²r³/GT², where M is the mass of the planet, r is the orbital radius of the satellite, G is the gravitational constant, and T is the orbital period of the satellite.

2. Can the mass of a planet be accurately determined using only its satellite's orbital radius and period?

Yes, the mass of a planet can be accurately determined using only its satellite's orbital radius and period, as long as the satellite's orbit is stable and the gravitational constant is known.

3. How does the mass of a planet affect its satellite's orbital radius and period?

The mass of a planet directly affects its satellite's orbital radius and period. A larger mass will result in a larger orbital radius and longer orbital period, while a smaller mass will result in a smaller orbital radius and shorter orbital period.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the mass of a planet calculated using its satellite's orbital radius and period?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the mass of a planet calculated using its satellite's orbital radius and period. These include the presence of other gravitational forces, such as from nearby planets or moons, and any irregularities in the satellite's orbit.

5. Why is the mass of a planet often calculated using its satellite's orbital radius and period?

The mass of a planet is often calculated using its satellite's orbital radius and period because these are easily measurable quantities that can provide a relatively accurate estimation of the planet's mass. Additionally, this method does not require direct measurements of the planet's gravitational pull, which can be difficult to obtain.