Analysis Problem: Finding f & f_n for ||f-f_n|| Convergence

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a function f and a sequence of functions {f_n} that satisfy certain conditions. These conditions include f being a 2-pi periodic function from the unit circle to the set of complex numbers, the sequence {f_n} converging to 0, but the functions f_n not converging to f for any x in the unit circle. One proposed solution is to use a step function whose center oscillates over the interval [-pi,pi] and has a shrinking diameter. Another proposed solution is to use the characteristic function for intervals on the interval [0,1].
creepypasta13

Homework Statement

let S' be the unit circle, C the set of complex numbers, R the set of real numbers, ||f|| = sqrt[integral(f^2) from -pi to pi] (the length or norm of f)

find a function f: S'->C (so f is 2-pi periodic) and a sequence of functions {f_n}:R->C so that
||f-f_n|| converges to 0 but we don't have f_n(x) converging to f(x) for ANY x in S'

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking of (-1)^n for f_n, and 0=f(x), but then ||f-f_n|| converges to 1, not 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. (-1)^n doesn't work. You want a step type function whose center keeps oscillating over the interval [-pi,pi] while it's diameter keeps shrinking.

if its diameter keeps shrinking, then its limit will approach 0, hence not satisfying the 2nd part of the problem where it can't approach 0 for ANY x

Let c(I)(x) be the characteristic function for an interval I (i.e. c(I)(x)=1 for x in I, 0 otherwise). Suppose I want such a sequence of functions on the interval [0,1] instead of S'. Pick f_1=c([0,1/2]), f_2=c([1/2,1]), f_3=c([0,1/3]), f_4=c([1/3,2/3]), f_5=c([2/3,1]), f_6=c([0,1/4])... Let f=0.

thanks

1. What is the purpose of finding f and f_n for ||f-f_n|| convergence?

The purpose of finding f and f_n is to determine the level of convergence between two functions. By calculating the difference between f and f_n, we can determine how closely the two functions are approaching each other and if they are converging towards the same value.

2. How do you calculate ||f-f_n|| convergence?

To calculate ||f-f_n|| convergence, you first need to find the limit of the difference between f and f_n as n approaches infinity. This can be done by taking the absolute value of the difference and then finding the limit. If the limit is equal to 0, then the two functions are said to be converging.

3. What is the significance of ||f-f_n|| convergence?

||f-f_n|| convergence is significant because it allows us to determine the accuracy and precision of a function. If the value of ||f-f_n|| is small, it means that the two functions are very close to each other and the approximation is accurate. On the other hand, a large value for ||f-f_n|| indicates that the approximation is not as precise.

4. How can we use ||f-f_n|| convergence in scientific research?

||f-f_n|| convergence can be used in scientific research to validate the accuracy of mathematical models and simulations. By comparing the convergence of a model to the true solution, we can determine if the model is a good representation of the real-world phenomenon. This helps to ensure the reliability and validity of scientific findings.

5. Are there any limitations to using ||f-f_n|| convergence?

Yes, there are limitations to using ||f-f_n|| convergence. One limitation is that it only considers the convergence of a function at a specific point. It does not take into account the behavior of the function as a whole. Additionally, it requires knowledge of the true solution, which may not always be available in real-world scenarios.