Solving Volume and Symmetry: Find Integral from Calculator

In summary, the person was trying to do a volume of revolution problem on the calculator, but wasn't sure if their integral were correct. They were given an area bounded by y=0 and y=cos2 x, but were confused about the second part of the problem which involved rotating about y=1.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Your supposed to set up the integral and do it from the calculator.
y = , y = (cosx)^2, -pi/2 <= x <= pi/2
a. x axis
b. y axis

Homework Equations

I = ∏∫(cosx)^4 dx = 3.70110 and for part b
I = ∏∫((1)-(cosx)^2)^2 dx = 3.70110

The Attempt at a Solution

Did I set this up right? It would be the same volume in both cases right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me what exactly you've been asked to do. Could you state explicitly what you're trying to do?

Yes, given y =0 , y = (cosx)^2, -pi/2 <= x <= pi/2
set up the integral to revolve it around a.) The x-axis and b.) the y-axis
It is just a volume of revolution problem the book just says do it on the calculator. That's it I just want to know if my integral are right.Thanks

Your answer for part (a) looks fine. I don't understand what you're doing for part (b).

Part b wants you to revolve it around the line y = 1.
Does that help?
So I did 1 - cosx^2

Yes, it helps when you tell us what the actual problem is. :wink: In the original post, you said part (b) was about revolving the area about the y-axis, and then you repeated that in post 3. And somehow we were supposed to read your mind and realize the problem was actually about revolving around the horizontal line y=1?

In any case, your integral for part (b) isn't correct. The volume you calculated is if you took the area bounded below by ##\cos^2 x## and above by y=1 and rotated it about y=1. You want the area bounded above by ##\cos^2 x## and below by y=0 and rotate that area about y=1.

I'm sorry. I don't understand your above and below. I think just the second part. I want the area bounded above by ## cos(x)^2## and below y =0 ? I don't understand this. Do you mean that I need the area below y = 1 and above ## cos(x)^2##? So could I just multiply my original answer by two? Sorry for the confusion from the earlier post.

I don't understand why the integral would not be the same. Can anyone clarify? I just looked at this thing I can't figure out what you are saying about the areas.

You were given an area bounded by y=0 and y=cos2 x, right? You're supposed to revolve this area around the line y=1. You're looking at a completely different area if you look at the region between y=1 and y=cos2 x.

vela said:
You were given an area bounded by y=0 and y=cos2 x, right? You're supposed to revolve this area around the line y=1. You're looking at a completely different area if you look at the region between y=1 and y=cos2 x.

Yes, you are correct. The first part (a) you rotate about (cosx)^2 around the x axis. Next you rotate about y = 1. Look at the graph. I wish I had a way to draw it. When you do around y = 1 you have (1-cos(x)^2).
So you have ∏∫(1-(cos(x)^2)^2 dx = ∏∫(sin(x))^4 dx
When you do this between (-∏/2) and (∏/2) you get 3.7011
Which is equivalent to the answer you get when you integrate cos(x)^2 around the x axis. So that integral is ∏∫(cos(x))^4 dx between (-∏/2) and (∏/2) you get 3.7011.
I don't see how I'm wrong here.

Depending on how the problem was worded, you could be right, but I think you're not. Could you please post the problem here exactly as it was written?

1. What is the concept of volume and symmetry in mathematics?

Volume and symmetry are important concepts in mathematics that involve the measurement of space and the study of objects that have balanced proportions. Volume refers to the amount of space occupied by an object, while symmetry refers to the balance and proportionality of an object's shape and dimensions.

2. How can I use a calculator to find the integral of a volume or symmetry problem?

To find the integral of a volume or symmetry problem using a calculator, you will need to input the appropriate function and limits into the calculator's integral function. This will give you the value of the integral, which represents the total volume or symmetry of the object in question.

3. What is the significance of finding the integral in volume and symmetry problems?

Finding the integral in volume and symmetry problems allows us to calculate the exact amount of space or symmetry that an object possesses. This is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture, where precise measurements are necessary for design and analysis.

4. Can a calculator always accurately find the integral in volume and symmetry problems?

In most cases, a calculator can accurately find the integral in volume and symmetry problems. However, there may be some complex or irregularly shaped objects where manual integration or other methods may be required for more precise results.

5. Are there any limitations when using a calculator to find the integral in volume and symmetry problems?

One limitation when using a calculator to find the integral in volume and symmetry problems is that it can only provide an approximation of the integral, rather than an exact value. Additionally, the complexity of the problem and the accuracy of the calculator may also affect the precision of the result.