A particle moves on a surface find ∂x/∂y at given point

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of change of ∂x/∂z at a specific point on a surface, given the rates of change for x and z with respect to time. However, the concept of the rate of change of ∂x/∂z with respect to time is unclear and there is confusion on how to find it. Some have suggested using the partial derivatives of the surface with respect to x and z, but this leads to an unknown rate of change for y.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

A particle moves on the surface (z^2)/2+yz-(x^2)/2=2. At point (-2, 1, 2) x is changing at the rate of 2/m sec and z is changing at the rate of -1/m sec. Determine in m/sec. the rate of change (with respect to time) of ∂x/∂z at (-2, 1, 2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure where to start and all my attempts get me nowhere. Does ∂x/∂t = 2 and ∂z/∂t = -1? I tried that and then differentiated with respect to t and got nowhere. If someone could help me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankly, the phrase "the rate of change (with respect to time) of ∂x/∂z" doesn't make much sense to me. I guess it would mean
[tex]\frac{d\frac{\left(\partial x\right)}{\partial z}}{dt}[/tex]
but that looks very peculiar.

An obvious problem would be to find the rate of change of y with respect to t.

That's what confuses me a bit. How can you find ∂x/∂z though?

Ok can someone correct me if this idea is completely wrong. Can ∂x/∂z be found (if the surface is F) by taking (∂F/∂z)/(∂F/∂x)? If that is allowed though I get (z+y)/x and when I differentiate with respect to time I still get a ∂y/∂t which I am not given a value for.

1. What does ∂x/∂y represent in this scenario?

∂x/∂y represents the partial derivative of the particle's position in the x-direction with respect to the y-direction. It shows how the particle's position changes in the x-direction as it moves along the surface in the y-direction.

2. How is ∂x/∂y calculated?

∂x/∂y is calculated by taking the derivative of the function that describes the particle's position on the surface with respect to the y-variable, while holding all other variables constant.

3. Why is it important to calculate ∂x/∂y?

Calculating ∂x/∂y allows us to understand how the particle's position changes on the surface in different directions. This information is important in fields such as physics and engineering, where precise understanding of a particle's motion is crucial.

4. Can ∂x/∂y be negative or zero?

Yes, ∂x/∂y can be negative or zero. A negative value indicates that the particle's position in the x-direction is decreasing as it moves in the y-direction, while a zero value indicates no change in the particle's position in the x-direction as it moves in the y-direction.

5. Is ∂x/∂y affected by the shape or slope of the surface?

Yes, ∂x/∂y is affected by the shape and slope of the surface. The value of ∂x/∂y will vary depending on the surface's curvature and steepness at the given point. This is why it is important to specify the point at which ∂x/∂y is being calculated.