Understanding the Op Amp Minus Sign Symbol

In summary, it appears that the symbol for an op amp with only a minus sign may be incorrect or non-standard. It could possibly be representing a unity-gain buffer or a logic gate like an inverter. The symbol was seen in the Franklin control theory text for lead, lag, and quad circuits. It is suggested that the + input is grounded and the symbol may be limited and idealized. It is important to consider the type of op amp being used in order to understand the symbol.
Mindscrape
What does it mean when an op amp has only a minus sign in its symbol? Is the positive terminal at ground, or is it at some arbitrary voltage?

Engineering news on Phys.org
can you clarify? pic maybe?

Mindscrape said:
What does it mean when an op amp has only a minus sign in its symbol? Is the positive terminal at ground, or is it at some arbitrary voltage?

I'd guess that it is just drawn incorrectly, or else it is not just an opamp. A unity-gain buffer might just be drawn with a + input, for example.

Could it be a logic gate, like an inverter?

If anyone has the Franklin book on control theory, he does this for the lead, lag, and quad circuits in the chapter 2 or 3 problems. This is what it looks like (with a wire going in at the center and coming out at the center). *dots should be white space, and the two hyphens represent the minus

|
|..|
|...|
|.--...|
|...|
|..|
|

Last edited:
Hmmm. No, Franklin is not in my bookshelf, and my google of the book got me some tiny excerpts at amazon.com, but no joy on the opamp symbol.

Any chance that you could scan a page showing this symbol in a schematic? I'll wave the copyright stuff for now, until we can help you figure out the symbol. As you can tell, from your description of it, it is a non-standard symbol.

Here is the lead circuit, sorry for the cartoony look. I solved for it if v+ were some arbitrary voltage because that seemed to be give the most useful transfer function, but I just don't have any idea what the symbol was supposed to mean.

Attachments

• Lead.jpg
    Lead.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 334
if i were to guess it would be non-inverting.

Mindscrape said:
Here is the lead circuit, sorry for the cartoony look. I solved for it if v+ were some arbitrary voltage because that seemed to be give the most useful transfer function, but I just don't have any idea what the symbol was supposed to mean.

Do you have a part number for the device, so that we can look at a datasheet? What is the source for this symbol? What are the pin numbers of the device as shown in your circuit? Do you know what power rails it uses?

Edit -- I'll check with some of the other engineers here at work today to see if anybody has the Franklin control theory text.

Mindscrape said:

edmondng said:
if i were to guess it would be non-inverting.

no, i think it's inverting. the + terminal is connected to ground and it is not shown in the pic. I've seen this convention before and i have never liked it.

rbj said:
no, i think it's inverting. the + terminal is connected to ground and it is not shown in the pic. I've seen this convention before and i have never liked it.

Ohhh. That would make sense. + input grounded, with split supply rails. Yeah, that's a pretty limiting and strange convention... more idealized than real-world. It better be a FET-input opamp! (Quiz Question -- why?)

oops you're right inverting. i must be sleeping replying that early in the morning :)

1. What does the minus sign symbol mean in an op amp circuit?

The minus sign symbol in an op amp circuit represents the inverting input terminal. This means that the input signal at this terminal will be inverted at the output.

2. Why is the minus sign symbol used instead of a regular negative sign?

The minus sign symbol is used to distinguish the inverting input from the non-inverting input in an op amp circuit. It is a standard convention and helps to avoid confusion when analyzing op amp circuits.

3. Can I connect a signal to the minus sign input of an op amp?

Yes, you can connect a signal to the minus sign input of an op amp. However, keep in mind that the signal will be inverted at the output. This is useful for certain applications, but if you want a non-inverting amplifier, you should connect the signal to the non-inverting input terminal.

4. Is the minus sign input always connected to ground in an op amp circuit?

No, the minus sign input is not always connected to ground in an op amp circuit. It can be connected to a voltage source or another input signal, depending on the desired circuit configuration. In some cases, it may also be left floating.

5. How does the minus sign input affect the gain of an op amp circuit?

The minus sign input does not directly affect the gain of an op amp circuit. However, it does play a role in determining the overall feedback and gain of the circuit. In general, the gain of an inverting op amp circuit is equal to the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor.