Inverting a signal up to 100mV using op amps

In summary, op amps can be used with minimal supply voltage, but be aware that the output might not be able to swing as much as you want.
Kosutusas
Greetings,

I'd like to invert a signal I get from a photodetector (the signals are up to 100 mV). I decided to use an inverting op amp circuit for that, however, when looking online through the op amp catalogs - the minimum input voltage in the descriptions is a few volts while my input would be in the range of mV. Would that be a problem? Is that only a recommended range given there? I do realize I will get some noise in that case, however, I'll make sure to pick op amps with the optimal slew rate, offset voltage and bandwidth for my needs.

Thanks for any advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Kosutusas said:
Greetings,

I'd like to invert a signal I get from a photodetector (the signals are up to 100 mV). I decided to use an inverting op amp circuit for that, however, when looking online through the op amp catalogs - the minimum input voltage in the descriptions is a few volts while my input would be in the range of mV. Would that be a problem? Is that only a recommended range given there? I do realize I will get some noise in that case, however, I'll make sure to pick op amps with the optimal slew rate, offset voltage and bandwidth for my needs.

Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to the PF.

You certainly can use opamps for your application. Where have you read that they have some minimum input signal amplitude requirement?

Likes Kosutusas
Kosutusas said:
Greetings,

Thanks for any advice.
Op amps don't really have a minimum voltage. In many typologies with negative feedback the voltage difference between the positive and negative terminals can be in the uV range.

Remember an op amp is just one component of the circuit that will invert your signal. It is really resistor selection that will determine minimum viable voltage (in conjunction with other things).

Likes Kosutusas
Many photodetectors output a current, can you double check that the output variable really is voltage?

Hello,

Thank you for your answers. I got confused due to going through RS Components I noticed that most descriptions provide a supply range (this for example and https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZL9KJQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20 from amazon). It did not make sense having "minimum supply" (of course, besides being limited by the offset voltage) so I decided to double check here (running low on confidence there :D)

Moreover, as far as I can recall, the variable is voltage in this case. I guess I should provide some background information - I have a set up of two lasers going through different photodetectors and after I plug in the wires going from them to a box (eeh, excuse my syllabus, still getting to know the lab so not really all that caught up on technical stuff yet aka total newbie) it gives me an option of the voltage difference between voltages generated in each photodetector. However, I'd also would like to know the sum of voltages (there is no option for that), thus I thought I could invert one of the signals with the op amp to achieve that which would be quick and easy.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll try to buy the op amp after confirming the parameters I would need. Hopefully the set up will succeed!

Kosutusas said:
It did not make sense having "minimum supply..."
Actually that makes perfect sense. All op-amps have a minimum required supply voltage to operate. This is because there are several transistors, diodes, etc inside the op-amp that are connected in series. Each one of those devices has a minimum voltage below which it will not function. If there is not enough voltage across each one they will act as either a resistor or an open circuit, rather than a diode or transistor.

One thing to watch out for is that the output pin of an OP Amp can't always get close to the supply rails. So with low voltage supplies the output might not be able to swing as much as you want. For example the output of the LM324 can only go upto about Vcc-1.5V. Might be an issue if you were trying to run it from say Vcc =3V or use it to generate logic level outputs.

What is the purpose of inverting a signal using op amps?

Inverting a signal using op amps allows for the amplification and inversion of a signal up to 100mV. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as audio amplification and signal processing.

What is the maximum voltage that can be inverted using op amps?

The maximum voltage that can be inverted using op amps depends on the specific op amp being used, but generally ranges from 10-100mV. It is important to select an op amp with an appropriate input voltage range for the desired application.

What is the difference between inverting and non-inverting op amp configurations?

Inverting op amp configuration results in an output signal that is 180 degrees out of phase with the input signal, while non-inverting op amp configuration results in an output that is in phase with the input. Inverting configuration also allows for amplification and inversion of the input signal.

What are the key factors to consider when designing an inverting op amp circuit?

Some key factors to consider when designing an inverting op amp circuit include the input voltage range, the desired gain, and the input and output impedance. It is also important to consider the types of signals and frequencies that will be processed by the circuit.

Are there any limitations to inverting a signal using op amps?

One limitation to consider is that inverting a signal using op amps may introduce noise and distortion to the output signal. This can be minimized by carefully selecting the op amp and using appropriate circuit design techniques, such as proper grounding and shielding.