Design a circuit diagram

In summary: Can you come up with a more complicated solution that still fits within the guidelines of the assignment?In summary, the homework statement is that a diagram must be created to solve for the voltage for when only one light bulb is on, when two light bulbs are on, and when three light bulbs are on. The problem states that ONLY two resistors can be used for all three bulbs. If I understand you correctly, you just need to know how to reduce the voltage using two resistors. The simplest solution would be a voltage divider.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

Given =
5 - light bulbs
Light bulbs 1 and 2 each dissipate 180 mW at 12 V
Light bulbs 3, 4, and 5 each dissipate 45 mW at 9V.

1 - 12 V supply

2 - Resistors (Range 10-1000 Ω)

5- switches

The design must meet the criteria:
Each light bulb can be independently turned on and off
Light bulbs 1 and 2 must get 12 V from the power supply when on.
The other light bulbs must get 9V (+/- 5%) from the power supply when on.

Homework Equations

V = IR
P = I2R

The Attempt at a Solution

Light bulbs 1 and 2 have 800 Ω each.
Light bulbs 3, 4, and 5 have 1800 Ω each.

I can solve the diagram easily when I have only one light bulb on each time. It is when I have multiple light bulbs on that the voltages change and no longer fit the criteria.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cisneros778, what could be the idea behind allowing the use of resistors? http://imageshack.us/a/img706/5864/hidden14.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 resistors will keep all light bulbs within their allowed voltages.

Cisneros778 said:
The 2 resistors will keep all light bulbs within their allowed voltages.
"2 resistors"http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon5.gif There is no limit of 2; you may use as many as you like. :wink:

Sketch a diagram to illustrate your idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have only two resistors to work with. I mean, the light bulbs are resistors as well, but apart from that I only get to use two resistors for my diagram. :-/

Attachments

• Untitled.bmp
    104.9 KB · Views: 430
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/2/?ui=2&ik=c0da1462ed&view=att&th=139d7c80e1de131f&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h78jmhci0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_MKhT_3deMhgRG8lpbZ3yh&sadet=1347945000944&sads=cscxVT049sxfN8g2eBCSKNZUd3k&sadssc=1

Okay, I figured out the first two light bulbs, having them parallel will give them 12 V. For light bulbs 3,4 and 5 I need to have 9V running through each one of them. So, I'm guessing to use the same strategy by having them parallel but I only have the 12 V source. So I believe here is where the 2 resistors come into play. How to include them, is what puzzles me.

any suggestions?

Are the five switches all SPST? :smile:

Yes, just on or off

If I understand you correctly, you just need to know how to reduce the voltage using two resistors? The simplest solution would be a voltage divider. I'll leave it to you to look that up and figure out exactly how to implement it in this situation, but it shouldn't be too difficult. (Maybe steer clear of the Wikipedia page and look for a simpler explanation if you're new to circuit analysis.)

For bulbs 3 and 4. Use..

Power = Voltage * current

to work out the current going through the bulb.

Then use one resistor in series with each bulb to drop the 12V down to 9V.

V=I*R
so
R=V/I

where the drop across the resistor V = 12-9 and I is the current you calculated above.

However the answer is not a standard resistor value in the 5% range.

http://ecee.colorado.edu/~mcclurel/resistorsandcaps.pdf

Try nearest value up. Recalculate the voltage to check it's within 5%. It should be according to my calc.

Last edited:

Humm Ok I missed that there are THREE 9V bulbs not TWO. Will have a rethink.

Does the problem really say that ONLY two resistors can be used for all three bulbs?

thegreenlaser is correct. Look at a voltage divider. Bit of maths to do to ensure the voltage does not go out of tollerance with one or three bulbs connected.

thegreenlaser said:
If I understand you correctly, you just need to know how to reduce the voltage using two resistors? The simplest solution would be a voltage divider.
That is certainly the simplest solution! This makes for a good challenge question, too.

1. What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit. It uses symbols to show the components in the circuit and the connections between them.

2. How do I design a circuit diagram?

To design a circuit diagram, you will need to have a clear understanding of the components you want to include in your circuit. You can then use a software program or draw it by hand using standard symbols and following the rules of circuit diagram design.

3. What are the basic components in a circuit diagram?

The basic components in a circuit diagram include a power source, such as a battery or power supply, conductors, such as wires or circuit traces, resistors, capacitors, inductors, and semiconductors, such as transistors and diodes.

4. How do I read a circuit diagram?

To read a circuit diagram, start by identifying the power source and the direction of current flow. Then, follow the connections between components, which are represented by lines. The components are represented by symbols, and their values may be labeled next to them. Finally, identify the output of the circuit, which is typically shown as a light, motor, or other device.

5. Why is it important to design a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is important because it allows you to visually understand how a circuit works and identify any potential issues. It also serves as a blueprint for building and troubleshooting the circuit. Additionally, it can be used to communicate the design to others, such as technicians or manufacturers.