An electric bulb of 500 W at 100v is used in a circuit

In summary, to find the resistance R that must be put in series with a bulb so that it draws 500 W from a 200 V supply, we can use the equation R = V^2/P, where V is the voltage and P is the power. However, in a series circuit, the voltages across the components add up to the supplied voltage and the current is the same throughout. Therefore, in this case, the resistor must drop half of the 200 V supply. To achieve an equal split of the total potential difference across the resistor and the bulb, their resistance values must be equal. This means that the resistance of the bulb should be half of the resistance of the resistor.
Shivang kohlii
If the circuit has 200 V supply.
The resistance R that must be put in series with bulb so that it draws 500 w is?

2. Relevent equations

P= v^2/r
I = v/r
3. My attempt at the solution

R= V^2/P r (bulb)= 10000/500 = 20 ohm
Now for 200 v supply ..
P= 500 W
V= 200V
Rnet = 20 + R

R+20= 80
R= 60 ohm
But that's not the answer.. why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you require the bulb itself to dissipate 500W, or do you require the 200V source to supply 500W?

Shivang kohlii said:
If the circuit has 200 V supply.
The resistance R that must be put in series with bulb so that it draws 500 w is?
To be clear, does "it" refer to the resistor?
Shivang kohlii said:
2. Relevent equations
P= v^2/r
I = v/r
3. My attempt at the solution

R= V^2/P r (bulb)= 10000/500 = 20 ohm
Where did the 10000 figure come from?
Are you trying to calculate the resistance of the bulb without the extra resistor? If so, you have used the wrong value for the voltage.

Also, in a series circuit, the voltages across the two loads add to the voltage supplied to the circuit, and the current I is the same throughout the circuit.
Shivang kohlii said:
Now for 200 v supply ..
P= 500 W
V= 200V
Rnet = 20 + R

R+20= 80
R= 60 ohm
But that's not the answer.. why?

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Do you require the bulb itself to dissipate 500W, or do you require the 200V source to supply 500W?
Bulb I guess

Mark44 said:
To be clear, does "it" refer to the resistor?

Where did the 10000 figure come from?
Are you trying to calculate the resistance of the bulb without the extra resistor? If so, you have used the wrong value for the voltage.

Also, in a series circuit, the voltages across the two loads add to the voltage supplied to the circuit, and the current I is the same throughout the circuit.

1. Yeah it refers to bulb
2. 10000 is for V^2 where V = 100
3. So that means that what I have calculated is basically power across R + bulb instead of only bulb? Also if the resistance R was in parallel .. then my answer would have been correct??

Shivang kohlii said:
2. 10000 is for V^2 where V = 100
So again, where does 10000 come from? In the problem statement, you said that the circuit has a 200 V supply. Is the voltage drop across the bulb 100 V.?
Shivang kohlii said:
3. So that means that what I have calculated is basically power across R + bulb instead of only bulb? Also if the resistance R was in parallel .. then my answer would have been correct??
Let's focus on your problem as stated, in which the bulb and the resistor are in series.

In a series circuit the voltage drops across the components add up to the supplied voltage, and the current (I) is the same throughout the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same throughout, and the currents through each component add up to the total current supplied.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE
Mark44 said:
So again, where does 10000 come from? In the problem statement, you said that the circuit has a 200 V supply. Is the voltage drop across the bulb 100 V.?
Acc to question ifthe bulb is connected to 100V supply power dissipated by it will be of 500 W
I have used that info to find resistance of the bulb which will remain constant irrespective of circuit conditions
Now if the bulb is connected to 200 V supply and the bulb still dissipates 500W that means that the potential is being divided and bulb is not getting the pd of 200v , because of the resistor

Likes Tom.G
Shivang kohlii said:
Acc to question ifthe bulb is connected to 100V supply power dissipated by it will be of 500 W
I have used that info to find resistance of the bulb which will remain constant irrespective of circuit conditions
Now if the bulb is connected to 200 V supply and the bulb still dissipates 500W that means that the potential is being divided and bulb is not getting the pd of 200v , because of the resistor

So the resistor has to drop half of the 200 V supply. If you want an equal split of the total potential difference across the resistor and the bulb, what must be the relationship between their resistance values?

1. What is the power of an electric bulb of 500 W at 100v?

The power of the electric bulb is 500 watts, which means it uses 500 joules of energy per second.

2. How is the power of an electric bulb determined?

The power of an electric bulb is determined by multiplying the voltage (in volts) by the current (in amperes). In this case, the voltage is 100 volts and the power is 500 watts, so the current must be 5 amperes (500 watts / 100 volts).

3. What does the voltage of 100v mean for an electric bulb?

The voltage of 100v means that the electric bulb needs 100 volts of electrical potential difference to operate. It is important to use the correct voltage for an electric bulb to prevent damage or malfunction.

4. How much energy does the electric bulb use in one hour?

To calculate the energy usage, we need to convert the power (in watts) to kilowatt-hours (kWh). Since there are 1000 watts in 1 kilowatt, the electric bulb uses 0.5 kWh (500 watts / 1000 watts) in one hour.

5. Is an electric bulb of 500 W at 100v energy efficient?

The efficiency of an electric bulb is determined by the amount of light it produces for the amount of energy it uses. In general, incandescent bulbs are less efficient compared to LED or fluorescent bulbs. However, the efficiency also depends on how the bulb is used and the environment it is in. It is always recommended to use the most energy-efficient bulbs available.