Bending of Beams - Deflection - Stress - Strain

In summary, stress and strain are two related but distinct concepts in the context of bending of beams. Stress refers to the internal force generated in a material when subjected to an external load, while strain is the resulting deformation. The deflection of a beam affects its stress and strain, with higher deflection leading to increased levels of both. Various factors, such as material properties, loading type, and support conditions, can affect the deflection, stress, and strain of a beam. Equations from the theory of beam bending and elasticity are used to calculate these values. Understanding these concepts is crucial in engineering and construction applications to design and analyze structures and develop new materials and technologies.
bakoo

Homework Statement

A beam of lengh is supported in a clamp system. distance between clamp is 1m. Loads applied at 250mm and 750mm. strain gauge fitted at 175mm with 100ohm resistance. Weight is applied at points a and b.

Homework Equations

Dont know?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am in need of the formulas please. I need to find out the theory for deflection, stress and strain and any other information i can extract.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(physics )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deformation_(mechanics )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflection_(engineering )

Last edited by a moderator:
for your interest in the topic of bending of beams. I can provide you with some information and equations that will help you understand this concept better.

Firstly, deflection is the amount of bending that occurs in a beam when a load is applied. This can be calculated using the equation δ = (PL^3)/(48EI), where δ is the deflection, P is the load applied, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

Stress is the force per unit area that a material experiences when subjected to a load. In the case of bending of beams, the stress can be calculated using the equation σ = (My)/I, where M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis, and I is the moment of inertia.

Strain is the measure of deformation or elongation of a material in response to stress. It can be calculated using the equation ε = δ/L, where ε is the strain, δ is the deflection, and L is the original length of the beam.

In your given scenario, the strain gauge fitted at 175mm with 100 ohm resistance can be used to measure the strain at that specific point on the beam. This information, along with the equations mentioned above, can help you determine the deflection, stress, and strain at other points on the beam as well.

Additionally, it is important to consider the type of beam being used (e.g. cantilever, simply supported, etc.) and the type of loading (e.g. point load, distributed load, etc.) in order to accurately calculate the deflection, stress, and strain.

I hope this information helps in your understanding of bending of beams. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the difference between stress and strain in the context of bending of beams?

Stress refers to the internal force that is generated within a material when it is subjected to an external load or force. It is measured in units of force per unit area. On the other hand, strain refers to the deformation or change in shape that occurs in a material when it is subjected to stress. It is a dimensionless quantity and is usually expressed as a percentage of the original length or size of the material.

2. How does the deflection of a beam affect its stress and strain?

The deflection of a beam refers to the amount of bending or displacement that occurs when a load is applied to it. As the deflection increases, the stress and strain in the beam also increase. This is because a larger deflection means that the beam is experiencing a greater amount of force, leading to higher levels of stress and strain.

3. What factors can affect the deflection, stress, and strain of a beam?

The deflection, stress, and strain of a beam can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material properties of the beam (such as its stiffness and strength), the type of loading applied to the beam (e.g. point load, distributed load), the length and geometry of the beam, and the support conditions at the ends of the beam.

4. How is the deflection, stress, and strain of a beam calculated?

The deflection, stress, and strain of a beam can be calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on the specific loading and support conditions of the beam. Generally, the deflection is calculated using equations from the theory of beam bending, while the stress and strain can be calculated using equations from the theory of elasticity.

5. What are some common applications of understanding the bending of beams, deflection, stress, and strain?

Understanding the bending of beams, deflection, stress, and strain is important in many engineering and construction applications. This knowledge is used to design and analyze various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and machines, to ensure that they can withstand the expected loads and forces without failing. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies that can improve the strength and durability of structures.