Quick question on tables and integration

• Thread starter trajan22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is discussing the proper use of the table integral for solving the problem \int\frac{dx}{\sqrt(x^2-4x)}. The participants discuss the use of u and a as variables and whether a can be a non-constant variable. The final conclusion is that it does not matter what variable is used as long as the integration is done explicitly and a is assumed to be a constant.
trajan22
ok so here is the problem

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt(x^2-4x)}[/tex]

the table integral I am supposed to use is this
[tex]\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{u^2-a^2}}=ln(u+\sqrt{u^2-a^2}+C[/tex]

Is it proper to make my u=x^2 and a=2x^(1/2)
I am asking because the solution guide tells me to complete the square, and then proceed to pick the u and a

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. a is assumed to be constant.

so if a is any real number i can do this, but if any nonconstant variable is there than I need to find another way? Sorry it has been a while since I've done this.

It doesn't matter whether it's "a" or "b", "y", "z",...You integrate wrt "x" and that's all that matters. Don't use tables of integrals, when the integrations can be done explicitely.

dextercioby said:
It doesn't matter whether it's "a" or "b", "y", "z",...You integrate wrt "x" and that's all that matters. Don't use tables of integrals, when the integrations can be done explicitely.

Yes, you're right. I was being lazy...constant in this context means a does not depend on x.

Another one of the little nuances in math.

I wouldn't consider the definition of "constant" to be a "little nuance"!

What are tables and how are they used in integration?

Tables are a way to organize data in rows and columns. In integration, tables are used to represent the values of a function at different points along the x-axis.

What is the purpose of integration?

Integration is used to find the area under a curve, which can be useful in many applications such as calculating volumes, work, and probabilities.

How do I integrate a function using a table?

To integrate a function using a table, you first need to evaluate the function at different points along the x-axis and record those values in a table. Then, you can use various methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate the area under the curve.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it calculates the area under the curve between those limits. An indefinite integral does not have limits and instead gives an expression that represents the antiderivative of the function.

What are some common applications of integration?

Integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to calculate areas, volumes, work, and other important quantities. It is also used in statistics for finding probabilities and in calculus to solve differential equations.