How to Convert AND/OR Circuits to NAND/NAND Using Only NAND and NOT Gates?

• Thread starter mathrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the individual has a problem creating a circuit using only NAND and NOT gates to drive a 7 segment LED. They have tried creating a truth table and using Karnaugh maps but still end up with an AND/OR circuit. They are asking for help converting the AND/OR circuit to a NAND/NAND circuit and for assistance in breaking up 3 and 4 input AND gates into 2 input NAND gates. The individual suggests using a simple NAND truth table and NOT-ing the output and two inputs to achieve this. They also suggest using multiple ANDs to achieve a 3 or 4 input AND gate.
mathrocks
I have to make a circuit using only NAND and NOT gates to drive a 7 segment LED. My problem is that after I make the truth table and draw the karnaugh maps I of course end up with a AND/OR circuit...how exactly can I convert the AND/OR to a NAND/NAND. Also, how can I break up the 3 and 4 input AND gates to 2 input NAND gates.

I really need help with this, I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Thanks alot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, think of this. Take a simple NAND truth table.

NOT the output. You get ________

NOT the two inputs. You get ________

A 3 input AND can be 2 inputs into an AND with output fed into another AND along with the third input. A four input, use three ANDs. Etc.

If you draw it out I believe its that simple.

Cliff

Hello,

It seems like you are facing a common challenge when working with logic circuits. However, do not worry, there are a few steps you can follow to convert your AND/OR circuit to a NAND/NAND circuit.

First, let's review the basic properties of NAND and NOT gates. A NAND gate is equivalent to an AND gate followed by a NOT gate. This means that you can replace any AND gate with a NAND gate followed by a NOT gate. Similarly, a NOT gate is equivalent to a NAND gate with both inputs connected together. This means that you can replace any NOT gate with a NAND gate with both inputs connected together.

Now, to convert your AND/OR circuit to a NAND/NAND circuit, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Replace all AND gates with NAND gates followed by a NOT gate.
2. Replace all OR gates with NAND gates with both inputs connected together.
3. Use De Morgan's theorem to convert the NAND gates into NOR gates.
4. Use De Morgan's theorem again to convert the NOR gates into NAND gates.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have a circuit with only NAND gates.

To break up the 3 and 4 input AND gates into 2 input NAND gates, you can use the distributive property. For example, a 3 input AND gate can be broken up into two 2 input NAND gates by connecting one input of each NAND gate to one of the inputs of the AND gate, and the other input of each NAND gate to the remaining input of the AND gate. You can follow a similar approach for 4 input AND gates.

I hope this helps you with your circuit. Remember to double-check your circuit after converting it to make sure it functions correctly. Good luck and don't give up!

1. What is a circuit logic problem?

A circuit logic problem is a type of mathematical puzzle that involves finding the correct combination of logic gates and inputs to produce a desired output.

2. How do I solve a circuit logic problem?

To solve a circuit logic problem, you need to first analyze the given inputs and outputs and determine the logical operations required to produce the output. Then, use logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates to construct the circuit and test it to see if it produces the desired output.

3. What are the common types of logic gates used in circuit logic problems?

The most commonly used logic gates in circuit logic problems are AND, OR, and NOT gates. Other types of gates such as XOR, NAND, and NOR gates may also be used depending on the complexity of the problem.

4. Are there any strategies or tips for solving circuit logic problems?

Some strategies for solving circuit logic problems include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using truth tables to test different combinations, and identifying patterns in the inputs and outputs. It is also helpful to draw out the circuit diagram and label the inputs and outputs to keep track of the logic operations.

5. Can I use a computer to solve circuit logic problems?

Yes, you can use a computer to solve circuit logic problems. There are many online tools and software programs available that can simulate logic circuits and help you solve complex problems. However, it is important to understand the logic behind the solutions generated by the computer rather than just relying on the computer's output.