Convert Density of Ethylene Glycol (Antifreeze) to Liters | Chemistry Help

• Thread starter chief rocker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation involves finding the volume, in liters, of 5.8kg of ethylene glycol (antifreeze) with a density of 1.11g/cm^3. The definition of density is provided as mass per unit of volume, and the equation d = m/v is used to solve the problem. The given quantity of mass is converted to grams and substituted into the equation to find the volume in cm^3. The answer is then converted to liters to give a final volume of 5.225 L.
chief rocker
:confused:

i am completely lost with this. mind you this is my first chemistry class, and my professor is not very good at explaining things.

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) has a density of 1.11g/cm^3. What is the volume, in liters, of 5.8kg of this liquid?

HELP?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the definition of density ?

d = m/v

measure of mass per unit of volume

Now which of these 3 quantities are you given ? Can you substitute them into the equation ?

rearranging d = m/v gives v = m/d. Convert 5.8 kg into grams since the density is in grams, by multiplying by 1000 (1 kg = 1 x 10^3 g).

v = 5800g/(1.11g/cm^3) = 5,225.23 cm^3.

You need the answer in liters, and 1x10^-3 L = 1 cm^3. Therefore, (1x10^-3 L/cm^3) * (5,225.23 cm^3) = 5.225 L.

Last edited:

1. What is the density of ethylene glycol in units of g/mL?

The density of ethylene glycol, also known as antifreeze, is approximately 1.113 g/mL at room temperature.

2. How do I convert the density of ethylene glycol to liters?

To convert the density of ethylene glycol from g/mL to liters, you can use the formula: 1 g/mL = 0.001 L. Therefore, if the density is 1.113 g/mL, the equivalent in liters would be 0.001113 L.

3. Why is it important to know the density of ethylene glycol?

The density of ethylene glycol is important because it is used as a coolant in many vehicles and machinery. Knowing the density allows for proper mixing and dilution to achieve the desired concentration for optimal performance.

4. How does the density of ethylene glycol change with temperature?

The density of ethylene glycol decreases as the temperature increases. This is known as thermal expansion, where the molecules of ethylene glycol become less compact and take up more volume, resulting in a lower density.

5. Can I use any unit of measurement to express the density of ethylene glycol?

Yes, the density of ethylene glycol can be expressed in various units such as g/mL, kg/m³, and lb/ft³. It is important to ensure that the units are consistent when using them in calculations.