Is f Integrable? A Proof Using Density of Rationals and Irrationals

• Thread starter snipez90
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement says that if x is a rational number then f(x) = 0, and if x is an irrational number then f(x) = 2+x. However, it is not integrable because L(f,P) and U(f,P) do not always satisfy the Darboux Integrability criterion.
snipez90

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = 0, if x is rational; 2 + x, if x is irrational, for all x in [0,1]. Show that f is not integrable

Homework Equations

density of rationals/irrationals, equation for L(f,P) and U(f,P), Darboux Integrability criterion

The Attempt at a Solution

L(f,P) = 0 because on any subinterval formed from two consecutive points in the partition of [0,1], there exists a rational x.

For U(f,P), I was thinking that I could just pick any irrational x so that sup{ f(x): x is an element of the subinterval from two consecutive points in the partition of [0,1] } = 2 + x. Then note that since [tex]2+x \geq 2[/tex], [tex]U(f,P) \geq 2(b-a) > 0[/tex] so that

[tex]sup {L(f,P)} \neq inf {U(f,P)}[/tex]

I left a few steps in demonstrating U(f,P) > 0 but is this a good approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sort of. 2+x>=2. x<=1. Can you show any U(f,P)>=2 and any L(f,P)<=1?

Hmm I was really lax about the bounds. U(f,P) >= 2(b-a) = 2. L(f,P) = 0, no matter what, I think, so L(f,P) is certainly <= 1.

As for U(f,P), could I just say that 2+x >= 2 for any x in [0,1] so that U(f,P) >= 2*SUMMATION{bunch of points that cancel out to give b -a}?

Sure U(f,P)>=2, but why do you think L(f,P)=0? Take the partition P of the intervals [0,1/2] and [1/2,1]. Then L(f,P)=1/4, I think.

Sorry, here's my reasoning. The definition of L(f,P) is the summation of a bunch of products, each of which is of the form m*(d-c), where d and c are consecutive points in the partition and c < d. The quantity m is equal to inf{f(x) : c <= x <= d}. But assuming the density of the rationals, the quantity m will always be 0. Therefore, the summation of these products will yield 0 as well.

Oooops. Right. I misread the problem. Somehow I read it as f(x)=x for x rational instead of f(x)=0. So, yes, L(f,P)=0, U(f,P)>=2.

Haha ok. Actually when you suggested x <= 1 I thought to myself did I put x instead of 0? Thanks for your help though. Especially in noting that it's probably a good idea to use the best bounds possible (I sometimes forget that b and a are given endpoints and leave b-a as b-a).

1. What does it mean for a function to be "not integrable"?

For a function to be integrable, it means that its definite integral exists and is finite. In other words, the area under the curve of the function can be calculated. Therefore, for a function to be "not integrable", its definite integral does not exist or is infinite.

2. How can you prove that a function is not integrable?

There are several methods for proving that a function is not integrable. One method is to show that the function has an infinite discontinuity, such as a vertical asymptote or a point of discontinuity. Another method is to show that the function is unbounded, meaning it has no upper or lower limit, making it impossible to calculate the definite integral.

3. Are there any restrictions on the types of functions that can be "not integrable"?

No, there are no restrictions on the types of functions that can be "not integrable". Any function that does not meet the criteria for integrability, such as having an infinite discontinuity or being unbounded, can be considered "not integrable".

4. Can a function be "not integrable" at some points and integrable at others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be "not integrable" at certain points and integrable at others. For example, a function may have an infinite discontinuity at one point, making it "not integrable" at that point, but be continuous and bounded at all other points, making it integrable elsewhere.

5. What implications does a function being "not integrable" have?

If a function is "not integrable", it means that its definite integral cannot be calculated and therefore, certain properties of the function, such as the area under the curve, cannot be determined. This can limit the usefulness of the function in applications that rely on integration, such as calculating work or finding the distance traveled by an object.