Physics of Straightening a Bow

• Thread starter shwin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Gordon's books discuss the physics and engineering of bows and how to make them straighter.
shwin
Does anyone know where I can find information related to the physics of straightening a bow from its curved state to a more "straight" condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean the actual fuctioning of a bow or redesigning it to a different shape?

Scientific American had a good article on bows back in 1994 ("the origin of weapons systems"); you can purxhase it from JSTOR:
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0011-3204%28199412%2935%3A5%3C679%3ATOOWS%3E2.0.CO%3B2-C&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

I mean, in terms of applying a force to one end to straighten the bow out.

Thanks for the article also...I just wish I had a credit card :(

shwin said:
Does anyone know where I can find information related to the physics of straightening a bow from its curved state to a more "straight" condition?
Bows are normally made with a curvature in mind.

Straightening depends on the material, e.g. wood, plastic, horn, . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_bow

One would have to heat the bow to soften the material or make it more maleable, and then deform it to a straighter profile, and then cool it. The success will vary according to the material, or it may not work at all.

See also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurve_bow

Iknow bows are made in that respect, but this is related to a project I'm doing with a bow appearing to be a suitable model of reference.

What does one mean by "a bow appearing to be a suitable model of reference."?

Simply reducing the tension on the bow string will make bows straighter.

Oh, I was thinking of a model where pulling down on one end of the structure leads to a straightening out effect.

J E Gordon's excellent book "The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor" or the follow up " Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down" has a section on the physics and engineering of bows.

They are also the best popular books on materials and structure engineering I know of and really deserve to be more widely knonw.

Related to Physics of Straightening a Bow

What is the physics behind straightening a bow?

The physics behind straightening a bow involves the principles of elasticity and torque. When a string is pulled back, it creates tension in the limbs of the bow. This tension stores potential energy, which is released when the bowstring is released, propelling the arrow forward. The angle at which the bowstring is pulled back also affects the amount of energy stored and the accuracy of the shot.

How does the material and design of a bow affect its performance?

The material and design of a bow play a crucial role in its performance. The limbs of the bow need to be made of a material that is both strong and flexible, such as wood, fiberglass, or carbon fiber. The shape and curvature of the bow also impact its performance, as it determines the amount of energy stored and released when shooting an arrow.

What factors affect the accuracy of a bow?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of a bow, including the archer's technique, the weight and balance of the bow, the type and quality of arrows used, and environmental conditions such as wind and temperature. The stiffness of the arrow also plays a role, as it can affect how the arrow reacts when released from the bowstring.

How does the draw weight of a bow impact its power?

The draw weight of a bow refers to the amount of force needed to pull the string back to its full position. The higher the draw weight, the more potential energy is stored in the bow, resulting in a more powerful shot. However, a higher draw weight also requires more strength and skill to handle, so it's essential to find the right balance for each individual archer.

What are some safety precautions to take when using a bow?

When using a bow, it's crucial to follow safety precautions to prevent accidents and injuries. Always make sure to use proper form and technique when shooting, and never point the bow at anything except the target. When pulling back the string, make sure to keep your fingers and hand away from the arrow's path. It's also essential to inspect the bow and arrows for any cracks or damage before each use and never dry fire (shoot without an arrow) a bow, as it can cause damage to the bow and potentially harm the archer.