Abstract Algebra - Cyclic groups

In summary, the problem involves determining the order of a group element a given the information that |a^28| = 10 and |a^22| = 20. Using the equation |a^k| = n/gcd(n,k), the possible values for n are found to be 20 and 40. Then, by substituting gcd(n,28) = 2 into the equation, the order of a is determined to be 10.
basketm19
(This is my first post on PF btw - I posted on this another thread, but I'm not sure if I was supposed to)

I was doing some practice problems for my exam next week and I could not figure this out.

Homework Statement

Suppose a is a group element such that |a^28| = 10 and |a^22| = 20. Determine |a|.

Homework Equations

Let a be element of order n in group and let k be a positive integer. Then <a^k> = <a^gcd(n,k)> and |a^k| = n/gcd(n,k).

The Attempt at a Solution

10 = n/gcd(n, 28); 20 = n/gcd(n, 22)

Setting n equal to each other, 10gcd(n, 28) = 20gcd(n,22)

gcd(n, 28) = 2gcd(n, 22)

The possible values for n are 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, ... , so on.

Not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Welcome to the Physics Forums. It looks like you have made some good progress on this problem. Let's continue working through it together.

First, let's use the information given to find the greatest common divisor (gcd) of 28 and 22. We can do this by listing the factors of both numbers and finding the largest one they have in common.

Factors of 28: 1, 2, 4, 7, 14, 28
Factors of 22: 1, 2, 11, 22

The largest number they have in common is 2, so gcd(28, 22) = 2.

Now, we can use the equation |a^k| = n/gcd(n,k) to find the possible values for n. Since we know that |a^28| = 10 and |a^22| = 20, we can substitute these values into the equation to get:

|a^28| = n/gcd(n,28) = 10
|a^22| = n/gcd(n,22) = 20

We can rearrange these equations to get:

n = 10 gcd(n,28)
n = 20 gcd(n,22)

Since we know that gcd(n,28) = 2 and gcd(n,22) = 2, we can substitute these values into the equations to get:

n = 10(2) = 20
n = 20(2) = 40

So, the possible values for n are 20 and 40. Now, we can use the equation |a^k| = n/gcd(n,k) to find the order of a. We know that gcd(n,28) = 2, so we can substitute this into the equation to get:

|a| = n/gcd(n,28) = 20/2 = 10

Therefore, |a| = 10. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck on your exam next week!

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a type of mathematical group that is generated by a single element, called a generator. This means that every element in the group can be written as a power of the generator. Cyclic groups are important in abstract algebra because they have many useful properties that make them easier to study.

2. How is a cyclic group different from other types of groups?

A cyclic group is different from other groups because it is generated by a single element, while other groups may have multiple generators. Also, in a cyclic group, every element can be expressed as a power of the generator, while in other groups this may not be possible.

3. What is the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements in the group. For example, a cyclic group with a generator of 2 would have an order of infinity, while a cyclic group with a generator of 3 would have an order of 3.

4. How are cyclic groups used in real-world applications?

Cyclic groups have many applications in mathematics, computer science, and cryptography. For example, they are used in coding theory to generate error-correcting codes, and in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms.

5. What are some common examples of cyclic groups?

Some common examples of cyclic groups include the group of integers under addition, the group of real numbers greater than 0 under multiplication, and the group of rotations in a plane about a fixed point.