Why Sigma in the Heat Equation?

In summary, At 2.54 (k=-p^2), p is a basic definition to make the solution look nice. If they hadn't defined k=-p^2, the solution in 2.56 would look like this: X(x)=A\cos\left(\sqrt{-k}x\right)+B\sin\left(\sqrt{-k}x\right)
crepincdotcom
Hey all,

I've been working on learning to solve some PDE's. To do this I've been reading other people's tutorials. Here's one on the heat equation:

http://www-solar.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/~alan/MT2003/PDE/node21.html

This is pretty much the same as the others I've read on the heat equation, but it's explained farily well. However there are a few points I don't understand, and I was hoping someone might clarify them for me.

At 2.54 ([tex]k=-p^2[/tex]), what is [tex]p[/tex] and where did it come from?

2.57: What happened here? I see that at [tex]X(0)=0[/tex] and [tex]X(l)=0[/tex] to set boundary conditions... I also see that this step is involved in plugging into find the constants of the equation [tex]X(x)=Acos(px) + Bsin(px)[/tex] but... I'm lost :frown:

Finally, we get to 2.58 and everything explodes. Why a sigma? Generally for this type of problem don't we separate the variables into two ODEs, then BAM using some assumed equation forms solve for the constants and you have a solution? More or less?

Thanks a lot for any insight you can give,

-Jack Carrozzo
http://www.crepinc.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
crepincdotcom said:
At 2.54 ([tex]k=-p^2[/tex]), what is [tex]p[/tex] and where did it come from?

That's nothing more than a definition to make the solution look nice. If they hadn't defined [itex]k=-p^2[/tex] then the solution in 2.56 would look like this:

[tex]X(x)=A\cos\left(\sqrt{-k}x\right)+B\sin\left(\sqrt{-k}x\right)[/tex]

Yuck! :yuck:

2.57: What happened here? I see that at [tex]X(0)=0[/tex] and [tex]X(l)=0[/tex] to set boundary conditions... I also see that this step is involved in plugging into find the constants of the equation [tex]X(x)=Acos(px) + Bsin(px)[/tex] but... I'm lost :frown:

In 2.57 they are using knowledge that would be picked up in a precalculus course.

Consider the equation [itex]sin(x)=0[/itex]. What are the solutions? They are [itex]x=[/itex] (any integer multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex]). In other words, [itex]x=n\pi[/itex], [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex].

Just replace [itex]x[/itex] in the above equation with [itex]pl[/itex], and you have 2.57.

Finally, we get to 2.58 and everything explodes. Why a sigma?

Because it is a basic fact of the theory of linear differential equations that the sum of two solutions is also a solution. This is sometimes called the principle of superposition. So in order to have the complete solution, you have to add up all of the "basis" solutions (to borrow a term from the theory of vector spaces).

Oh well... guess I'm not solving that one any time soon.

Thanks for the help,

-Jack Carrozzo
http://www.crepinc.com/

1. Why is the heat equation represented by the symbol "sigma"?

The symbol "sigma" is used to represent the heat equation because it is the Greek letter commonly used to denote the coefficient of thermal conductivity in physics. The heat equation represents the flow of heat through a medium, and the coefficient of thermal conductivity, denoted by "sigma", is a crucial factor in determining the rate of heat transfer.

2. How is the heat equation derived?

The heat equation is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. By applying this law to a system experiencing heat transfer, we can derive the heat equation, which describes how thermal energy is distributed and transferred in a given medium.

3. Can the heat equation be applied to all systems?

The heat equation is a general equation that can be applied to a wide range of systems, as long as certain assumptions are met. These assumptions include a constant temperature gradient, uniform properties of the medium, and no heat sources or sinks within the system. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not always hold, so the heat equation may need to be modified or simplified for more accurate results.

4. What are the practical applications of the heat equation?

The heat equation has many practical applications, including predicting the temperature distribution in buildings, analyzing heat transfer in industrial processes, and modeling the Earth's climate. It is also used in fields such as materials science, engineering, and meteorology to study heat flow and temperature changes in various systems.

5. How does the heat equation relate to other equations in physics?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that is closely related to other fundamental equations in physics, such as the diffusion equation and the wave equation. It can also be combined with other equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, to model more complex phenomena such as fluid flow and heat transfer. Additionally, the heat equation has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as Fourier analysis and functional analysis.