Register to reply

Reverse-engineering a system of linear equations from solution, using matrices

Share this thread:
dark494
Jan14-10, 10:28 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a system of linear equations, with 3 unknowns, given that the solutions are the points (1,1,1) and (3,5,0) on a line.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

A solution that lies on a line tells me that I'm looking at the line of intersection between 2 planes. I'm supposed to be using matrices to solve this, but I've only ever done so in the other direction: taking a system of linear equations and reducing them to reduced-row-echelon-form to find the solution set.

Since there are infinitely many solutions, there must be at least 1 dependent variable. I figured that I would need to first find the equation for the line from the points of the solution, but I ended up with this:

(x-1)/2 = (y-1)/4 = (z-1)/-1

which only confused me more. Then I tried to formulate an augmented matrix to try and find the coefficients of the linear equations, but didn't get very far after reduction, and I realized that I was still missing the right hand side of the matrix:

[a 0b 2.5c ?]
[0a b -1.5c ?]

And this is where I stand. Any help is much appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
HallsofIvy
Jan15-10, 04:52 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
Quote Quote by dark494 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a system of linear equations, with 3 unknowns, given that the solutions are the points (1,1,1) and (3,5,0) on a line.

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

A solution that lies on a line tells me that I'm looking at the line of intersection between 2 planes. I'm supposed to be using matrices to solve this, but I've only ever done so in the other direction: taking a system of linear equations and reducing them to reduced-row-echelon-form to find the solution set.

Since there are infinitely many solutions, there must be at least 1 dependent variable. I figured that I would need to first find the equation for the line from the points of the solution, but I ended up with this:

(x-1)/2 = (y-1)/4 = (z-1)/-1
Showing that this line is the intersection of the planes given by (x-1)/2= (y-1)/4 and (x-1)/2= (z-1)/(-1) which are the same as 4(x-1)= 2(y-1) or 4x- 2y= 2 and -(x-1)= 2(z-1) or x+ 2z= 3. That is, those points satisfy 4x- 2y= 2 and x+ 2z= 3. That's your system of equations.

which only confused me more. Then I tried to formulate an augmented matrix to try and find the coefficients of the linear equations, but didn't get very far after reduction, and I realized that I was still missing the right hand side of the matrix:

[a 0b 2.5c ?]
[0a b -1.5c ?]

And this is where I stand. Any help is much appreciated.

Register to reply