Register to reply

Need a formula for CFM

by shellback
Tags: formula
Share this thread:
shellback
Mar3-10, 02:46 PM
P: 3
I just want the formula that shows how to find for CFM. I have the pipe diameter and the PSI that are available. I'm just using air, nothing special.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
Researchers develop tool to predict the level of driver discomfort caused by LED lighting
New inexpensive and easy to implement computer software provides real-time and highly accurate data on traffic
stewartcs
Mar3-10, 04:19 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283
Quote Quote by shellback View Post
I just want the formula that shows how to find for CFM. I have the pipe diameter and the PSI that are available. I'm just using air, nothing special.
Can you be more specific with what you want to know? I presume you mean how to determine the flow rate of air in cubic feet per minute through a pipe when knowing only the pipe diameter and back pressure?

CS
shellback
Mar3-10, 04:26 PM
Quote Quote by stewartcs View Post
Can you be more specific with what you want to know? I presume you mean how to determine the flow rate of air in cubic feet per minute through a pipe when knowing only the pipe diameter and back pressure?

CS
Yes, that's exactly right. I know there's a way to do it. I just haven't been able to work that out.

russ_watters
Mar3-10, 05:06 PM
Mentor
P: 22,211
Need a formula for CFM

The pressure is the static pressure in the pipe? That isn't enough to determine the airflow. You need a differential pressure across an orifice, pressure drop in a venturi or velocity pressure from a pitot tube.

Once you get some form of velocity pressure (and if you give us more details about your setup, we can tell you how to measure/estimate it), you can use a form of Bernoulli's equation to find the velocity:

V=4005*sqrt(Vp)
where
V= velocity in fpm
Vp= velocity pressure in inches of water gauge.
shellback
Mar3-10, 05:12 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
The pressure is the static pressure in the pipe? That isn't enough to determine the airflow. You need a differential pressure across an orifice, pressure drop in a venturi or velocity pressure from a pitot tube.
We're going to have a compressor maintaining a constant pressure of +100psi regulated to 100psi and a 3/8" ID for the pipe at its' most narrow.
russ_watters
Mar3-10, 05:19 PM
Mentor
P: 22,211
That's static pressure. It doesn't have anything directly to do with velocity (consider an air tank pressurized to 100psi: no airflow at all). What is this pipe supplying? Or is it open ended?

Register to reply