Bessel function series expansion

by hasan_researc
Tags: bessel, expansion, function, series
hasan_researc
Dec8-10, 11:40 AM
P: 172
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the how the question begins.

1. Bessel's equation is [tex]z^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dz^{2}} + z\frac{dy}{dz} + \left(z^{2}- p^{2}\right)y = 0[/tex].

For the case [tex]p^{2} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex], the equation has two series solutions which (unusually) may be expressed in terms of elementary functions:

[tex]J_{1/2} = \left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2} sin z[/tex]
[tex]J_{-1/2} = \left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2} cos z[/tex]

[ The factors [tex]\left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] are supefluous, but are included by convention, for reasons that are not relevant to the present purposes.]

Clearly [tex]J_{-1/2}[/tex] is singular at z = 0. Show that [tex]J_{1/2}(0) = 0[/tex].

2...................(for later)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am going to assume the solutions [tex]J_{1/2}[/tex] and [tex]J_{-1/2}[/tex] without worrying about why/how they come about.

Obviously, when z = 0, [tex]cos z \neq 0 [/tex]. Therefore, [tex]\left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] blows up and [tex]J_{-1/2}[/tex] is singular at z = 0.

On the other hand, if we draw separately the graphs of [tex]\left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] and [tex] sin z [/tex] and then combine the two in a single graph of [tex]J_{1/2}[/tex], we find that it is sinusoidal with an amplitude given by [tex]\left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]. This means that the curve oscillates as it moves towards z = 0 with an amplitude that tends to infinity as z tends to 0. How do I conclude from this that [tex]J_{1/2}(0) = 0[/tex].
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
ystael
Dec8-10, 01:34 PM
P: 352
Compare the order to which [tex]\sin z[/tex] vanishes at 0 to the order of growth of [tex]\sqrt{2/(\pi z)}[/tex] at 0. From that you should be able to prove an estimate of the form [tex]J_{1/2}(z) = O(f(z))[/tex] as [tex]z \to 0[/tex] for an appropriately chosen bound [tex]f[/tex].
hasan_researc
Dec8-10, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your help!

I don't understand what 'order' means in this context.
How do we compare the orders?

"an estimate of the form [tex]J_{1/2}(z) = O(f(z))[/tex] as [tex]z \to 0[/tex] for an appropriately chosen bound [tex]f[/tex].": I don't understand!

ystael
Dec8-10, 02:11 PM
P: 352

Bessel function series expansion

"Order" is short for "order of growth", which means a simple function (usually a power, log, or exponential function or simple combination of those functions) which you can use to "measure" the speed with which a given function vanishes or grows near a point. These orders are measured up to a constant factor.

For example, [tex]\csc x[/tex] grows like [tex]1/x[/tex] as [tex]x \to 0[/tex], that is, you can choose positive constants [tex]c, C[/tex] so that [tex]c|x^{-1}| < |\csc x| < C|x^{-1}|[/tex] for [tex]x[/tex] close enough to zero. One common way to try to find an order of growth for a function is to expand it in a Taylor or Laurent series.

For the meaning of [tex]O(f(z))[/tex] look here: Wikipedia article on Big-O notation Using this notation you could express the example above as [tex]\csc x = \Theta(1/x)[/tex] as [tex]x \to 0[/tex].

The point of my hint is that, to prove that [tex]J_{1/2}(0) = 0[/tex], you should examine the orders of growth near zero of the functions whose product is [tex]J_{1/2}[/tex], to prove that the product can be estimated by a function you know vanishes at 0.
hasan_researc
Dec8-10, 02:39 PM
I will have a think about this method while we move on to the next part of the question.

2. By means of the substitution [tex]z = kx[/tex], show that [tex]J_{1/2}(kx)[/tex] and [tex]J_{-1/2}(kx)[/tex] are solutions of the following equations:

[tex]x^{2}\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} + x\frac{dy}{dx} + \left(k^{2}x^{2} - p^{2}\right)y = 0[/tex].

3. Show that this equation, subject to boundary conditions [tex]y(0) = 0, y(1) = 0 [/tex], has eigenvalues [tex]k = n\pi, n = 1,2,3...[/tex] and eigenfunctions [tex]y_{n} = J_{1/2}(n\pi x)[/tex].

I am fine with 2, but din't know how to begin 3.
benorin
Dec8-10, 03:41 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,007
Try performing the limit calculation for a nore solid answer: show that [itex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2} \sin z=1[/itex]
hasan_researc
Dec8-10, 04:29 PM
[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{\sin z}{z}\right)=1[/tex], so
[tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2} (\left \sin z \right)[/tex]
= [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{2z}{\pi}\right)^{1/2}\left(\frac{\sin z}{z}\right) [/tex]
= [tex]\lim_{z\rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{2z}{\pi}\right)^{1/2} \lim_{z\rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{\sin z}{z}\right)[/tex]

The first limit is 0 and the second is 1, so the final answer is 0: a contradiction!!

Thoughts?
jackmell
Dec9-10, 04:13 AM
P: 1,666
Quote Quote by hasan_researc View Post
Show that [tex]J_{1/2}(0) = 0[/tex].

2...................(for later)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am going to assume the solutions [tex]J_{1/2}[/tex] and [tex]J_{-1/2}[/tex] without worrying about why/how they come about.

Obviously, when z = 0, [tex]cos z \neq 0 [/tex]. Therefore, [tex]\left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] blows up and [tex]J_{-1/2}[/tex] is singular at z = 0.

On the other hand, if we draw separately the graphs of [tex]\left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] and [tex] sin z [/tex] and then combine the two in a single graph of [tex]J_{1/2}[/tex], we find that it is sinusoidal with an amplitude given by [tex]\left(\frac{2}{\pi z}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]. This means that the curve oscillates as it moves towards z = 0 with an amplitude that tends to infinity as z tends to 0. How do I conclude from this that [tex]J_{1/2}(0) = 0[/tex].
The function:

[tex]J_{1/2}(z)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi z}}\sin(z)[/tex]

is undefined at z=0. However, it's limit there is zero by L'Hospital's rule so that if we explicitly define:

[tex]J_{1/2}(z)=\begin{cases} \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi z}}\sin(z) & z>0 \\
0 & z=0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

then [itex]J_{1/2}(z) [/itex] becomes continuous for real z greater than or equal to zero.

and that thing about drawing separate graphs is not correct. If you plot the function, you should get a sinusoidal wave for positive real z.

Register to reply