Structural Engineering OR BSc physics&maths ?

In summary, the individual is currently a first year student in BSc Maths and Physics at the University of Malta. They are interested in job opportunities in the financial sector, engineering, and research. They previously considered architecture but switched to structural engineering due to their preference for analytical problem-solving over artistic creativity. They are seeking advice on job opportunities and daily tasks in the field of structural engineering.
bernvall
Structural Engineering OR BSc physics&maths!??

i am currently a first year student in BSc Maths and Physics at the university of malta. I've alwyas loved maths and physics, and always have done really well in them. However my main problem is job opportunities i can have BESIDES teaching. can someone give me exampls where i can work in the financial sector, or in engineering, or research etc.

Also, in the beginning of the semester i was actually an architecture student. However i got to know that the first year was a foundation year in which they teach you on the fundamentals of design, they teach you how to draw, design models, be creative, take pictures of landscapes. I kind of freaked out since i never had art or ever was creative, i only cared about doing maths and physics. so i ended up changing!

However I am also interested in Structural Engineering , since i heard that its like architecture but while architecture is for the artsy people, Structural Engineering is more for people who arent artistic and creative, but who like workign out analytical problems and what not. can any of you guys share what you do and if i am correct. And if I am not mistaken to go into structural engineering i have to go to the architecture course and NOT the engineering course...so i would have to do the design foundation still :(

Please help, coz I am really panicking at the moment if i should change course next year or continue with maths and physics.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well it's very hard to give advice to someone who lives in Malta - I'm afraid there won't be many here who are familiar with the nuances of the job market there.

However, I can say that in North America, structural engineering is a highly regarded field. There are very good job opportunities and good pay.

For someone who has a BS in physics, there are opportunities but people with engineering degrees definitely have an easier time finding jobs. It's unfortunate but many hiring managers are unfamiliar with the skills that a physics bachelor has.

Yes yes in malta there are opportunities for architects and structural engineers, but I am not so sure on the research part.

But are you a structural engineer yourself? because id want to know what they do on a daily basis, and what they did during their university degree? did they have to build a lot of models, did they need to be artistic and innovative? Did they do a lot of maths and physics during the course?

1. What is structural engineering?

Structural engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the analysis, design, and construction of structures such as buildings, bridges, and tunnels. It involves the application of mathematics, physics, and mechanics to ensure that structures are safe, stable, and can withstand the forces they are subjected to.

2. What subjects are required for a BSc in physics and maths?

A BSc in physics and maths typically requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. Other subjects that may be required include computer science, engineering, and statistics. It is also beneficial to have a background in calculus, linear algebra, and mechanics.

3. What skills are needed to be a successful structural engineer?

To be a successful structural engineer, one needs to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They should also have a good understanding of mathematics, physics, and mechanics. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are essential as structural engineers often work in teams and need to effectively communicate their ideas and designs.

4. What are the career opportunities for those with a degree in structural engineering or BSc in physics and maths?

Graduates with a degree in structural engineering or BSc in physics and maths have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as construction, infrastructure, and consulting. They can work as structural engineers, construction managers, project managers, or even pursue further education and research in the field.

5. Is a degree in structural engineering or BSc in physics and maths difficult?

Like any other degree, the level of difficulty in structural engineering or BSc in physics and maths can vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. However, both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, which can be challenging for some. With dedication and hard work, anyone can succeed in these fields.