Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed b.c.s

In summary, the conversation discusses solving Laplace's equation on a rectangle with given boundary conditions. The speaker suggests using separation of variables and the principle of superposition to solve it. They also mention changing the function to u(x,y)=v(x,y)+w(x,y) to make it easier to solve.
sarideli18

Homework Statement

Solve Laplace's equation on the rectangle 0< x< L, 0< y< H with the boundary conditions du/dx(0, y) = 0, du/dx(L, y)=y, du/dy(x, 0)=0, U(x, H)=x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would be able to solve it by separation of variables if the last boundary condition were du/dx(x,H)=x. How can I apply the last boundary condition? Does principle of superposition work?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a function that has derivative 0 at y= 0 and value x at y= H. The first condition makes me think of a quadratic. Look at [itex]v(x, y)= (x/H^2)y^2[/itex]. And then change your function to w(x,y)= u(x,y)- v(x,y).

Then how can I go further with separation of variables?

By the way, Can I assume U=X(x)Y(y) and say Y(H)=1 and Xx(L)=1 ?

1. What is Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions (b.c.s)?

Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field on a rectangle-shaped domain with a combination of different boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet, Neumann, or Robin conditions.

2. What are the applications of Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed b.c.s?

Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model the steady-state behavior of heat, fluid flow, and electrostatics on a rectangle-shaped domain with different boundary conditions.

3. How is Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed b.c.s solved numerically?

Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions can be solved numerically using various methods, such as finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods. These methods discretize the domain and approximate the solution by solving a system of linear equations.

4. What are the challenges of solving Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed b.c.s?

Solving Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions can be challenging due to the complexity of the boundary conditions and the shape of the domain. It may also require a large amount of computational resources and careful selection of numerical methods to obtain an accurate solution.

5. Can Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed b.c.s be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 3D rectangular domains or domains with irregular shapes. The general form of Laplace's equation remains the same, but the numerical methods and techniques used for solving it may vary depending on the domain and the boundary conditions.