Matrix Representation of Operators in a Finite Basis

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the hamiltonian matrix for a linear harmonic oscillator can be represented in either of two ways, depending on the basis chosen: using the non-zero elements of the matrix or using the 3x3 matrix written down. The ladder operator product is not correctly represented when using the finite-dimensional representation.
ggb123

Homework Statement

I have my quantum mechanics final creeping up on me and I just have a question about something that doesn't appear to be covered in the text.

Let's say you have a wave function of the following form for a linear harmonic oscillator:

[itex] \Psi = c_1 | E_1 \rangle + c_2 | E_2 \rangle [/itex]

The basis is just the first two excited energy states. My question is how the Hamiltonian matrix is represented in this case. Is it

[itex] H = \hbar \omega \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{3}{2} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{5}{2} \end{matrix} \right) [/itex]

Or do you just use the non-zero elements:

[itex] H = \hbar \omega \left( \begin{matrix} \frac{3}{2} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{5}{2} \end{matrix} \right) [/itex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your hamiltonian is the usual harmonic oscillator hamiltonian, ##\mathcal H = \hbar\omega(a^\dagger a + 1/2)##, with eigenstates ##|n\rangle## for n = 0, 1, 2, etc., then your space is infinite dimensional, and any linear combination of the eigenstates will still leave you with an infinite-dimensional system.

The 3x3 matrix you wrote down is not correct if the elements are ##\mathcal H_{mn} = \langle m| \hbar \omega(a^\dagger a + 1/2)|n\rangle##, as the ##\mathcal H_{00}## element is ##\hbar\omega/2##, not zero. You would need some sort of additional term in the Hamiltonian to cause this term to vanish, which you presently don't have.

Your 2x2 matrix, however, is a perfectly legitimate finite-dimensional subset of the full infinite-dimensional space. If your initial state is prepared in a superposition of ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle##, then the system will not leave those states and you can focus on the 2x2 subset.

Note that the other elements of the matrix ##\mathcal H## are not zero, but since your system was initially prepared in a superposition of the n = 1 and 2 states and there are no off-diagonal terms, meaning no transitions between states of different n, your system will stay in those two states and you can just focus on the 2x2 matrix.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

I also would like to know how to represent the ladder operators of the harmonic oscillator in a finite basis of [itex] | E_1 \rangle [/itex] and [itex] | E_2 \rangle [/itex] as matrices.

I get the proper position expectation values using the following representations:

[itex] a = \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & 0 \\ \sqrt{2} & 0 \end{matrix} \right) \hspace{5 mm} a^{\dagger} = \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & \sqrt{2} \\ 0 & 0 \end{matrix} \right)
[/itex]

Using these, however, I do not have the proper relationship for the Hamiltonian matrix and the ladder operator product:

[itex] H = a a^{\dagger} + \frac{1}{2} = \left( \begin{matrix} \frac{3}{2} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{5}{2} \end{matrix} \right) [/itex]

I get a matrix of the following form for [itex]a a^{\dagger}[/itex]:

[itex] a a^{\dagger} = \left( \begin{matrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 \end{matrix} \right) [/itex]

Am I correct in my initial matrices for the ladder operators and the relationship between H and [itex] a a^{\dagger} [/itex] doesn't hold for finite subsets of [itex] \{ E_n \} [/itex]? Or were my initial ladder operator matrices incorrect?

Thanks!

First, the Hamiltonian contains ##a^\dagger a##, not ##a a^\dagger##. This doesn't fix the discrepancy, however.

See what happens if you wrote down 3x3 matrices for ##a## and ##a^\dagger##. I suspect that what you'll find is that there are terms from other (##n \neq 1,2##) states that come into the matrix multiplication that you dropped when writing the creation and annihilation operators as 2x2 matrices.

The number/energy wavefunctions are not eigenstates of the annihilation and creation operators, so restricting the matrix representation of the operators to a finite subspace of your basis states will not work out very well because the operators will try to take the input state into a state that is outside the restricted 2x2 representation. You don't have this problem with the full hamiltonian because it is diagonal in the basis you are using.

Also, lastly, use ^\dagger rather than ^\dag to get the daggers in Latex.

1. What is a matrix representation of an operator?

A matrix representation of an operator is a way of representing a linear transformation between vector spaces in terms of a matrix. This allows us to perform calculations and analyze the properties of the operator using matrix operations.

2. How is the matrix representation of an operator determined?

The matrix representation of an operator is determined by choosing a finite basis for the vector space, and then representing the operator as a matrix with respect to that basis. The elements of the matrix correspond to the coefficients of the basis vectors in the transformed vectors.

3. What is the significance of a finite basis in matrix representation of operators?

A finite basis is necessary for the matrix representation of operators because it provides a set of independent vectors that can fully describe the vector space. This allows for a unique representation of the operator in terms of a matrix, and facilitates the use of matrix operations in analyzing the properties of the operator.

4. Can any linear transformation be represented by a matrix?

Yes, any linear transformation between vector spaces can be represented by a matrix, as long as a finite basis is chosen for the vector space. This is known as the finite dimensional case, and is the focus of the matrix representation of operators.

5. How is the matrix representation of an operator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators are used to represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. The matrix representation of these operators allows for calculations and predictions to be made about the behavior of quantum systems, making it an essential tool in the field.